Sparkling Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
I have 8 3/4 Gallon of roughly 9% ABV Cider in 1 gallon growlers. I need them to carbonate using apple juice concentrate. How much do I used? I'm going to bottle condition in the growlers.

Each can of apple concentrate contains 162 grams of sugar per 355mL.

Contains Malic acid and ascorbic acid

I have 8 3/4 Gallon of roughly 9% ABV Cider in 1 gallon growlers. I need them to carbonate using apple juice concentrate. How much do I used? I'm going to bottle condition in the growlers.

Each can of apple concentrate contains 162 grams of sugar per 355mL.

Contains Malic acid and ascorbic acid

You want to use ~ 1.5 355ml cans.

(8.75 gallons x 28 grams sugar per gallon = 245 g sugar. 245 g sugar / 162 g per can = 1.51)

FYI Growlers aren't manufacturer to hold the pressures required to naturally carbonate your cider. I'm not saying that they're definitely explode while you're trying to carbonate them, but they might.

If you want to carbonate your cider use twist-off or pry-off beer bottles.

FYI Growlers aren't manufacturer to hold the pressures required to naturally carbonate your cider. I'm not saying that they're definitely explode while you're trying to carbonate them, but they might.

If you want to carbonate your cider use twist-off or pry-off beer bottles.

So I've heard. I've seen and own growlers which I wouldn't dare try to carbonate. The ones I use seem really thick and have been used on several occasions for bottle conditioning, first sign of weakness in any of them and I'll quit using them; otherwise, they're so darn convenient when I'm low on regular bottles.

They are mighty convenient. The only thing that takes less time and effort would perhaps be a corny keg, which is far more expensive and less portable so I understand your attraction to growlers. Might I suggest at least storing them in a rubbermaid container while they bottle condition? Sometimes faults in the glass aren't visible and if they're left to bottle condition in the closet they could made quite a mess.

Thats actually not a bad idea, especially because the room they're in has a slight amount of light exposure, and I could use a rubbermaid to block out the remainder of the light.
I'll do that, thanks.

Back