Single tier HERMS reveal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSRider

Reaction score
While its not yet done(when are they ever) it is functional now. The only thing left is to pretty it up. Clean up the kegs, maybe insulate them. Also need to get the stainless or aluminum for the table top. Future plans are to convert the gas boil to electric once I can get a 240 installed on the outside of the house.

Control panel, not yet labeled
0115091138a.jpg

Back of box with switch and ranco controlled outlets. You can see my probes for the rancos. All the electrical stuff is wired with plugs for easy disassembly.
0115091138.jpg

Powered up. The switch thats lit green is for the HLT element. That way I can shut it off to completely drain the HLT without burning up the element. The timer was for the HLT soI could set it to start warming up in the morning, that way when I get up, it will be hot, but the timer is busted so I need to get a replacement. The wo lights are for each element so I know when there on. The HLT has two lights, the switch and the light, so hopefully I will never drain it down too far with it on.
0115091719.jpg

Im not crazy about where its mounted, but I didnt want it hanging off the side and there really wasnt anywhere else.
0115091649.jpg

Front shot.
0115091648.jpg

Plumbing works. All the kegs, and the pump are connected to the plumbing with sharkbite fittings, I can take them apart in seconds for cleaning.
0115091649a.jpg

CFC with thermo on the output. Its plumbed back around behind the BK so if I need to recirc to lower temps more, I just put the hose back in the kettle. The end is drilled for aeration. Once its to temp, I can shut the vlv, move the hose to the fermenter and let it go.
0115091650.jpg

0115091651.jpg

This is where the HX ranco thermowell is. It reads the temp coming out. The tubing doubles as a sight glass so I can see how clear the wort is.
thermo.jpg

nice set up. So when and what is going to be the first brew?

When is hopefully this week sometime. What I dont know. Since I have never brewed all grain before, I want to do something easy. I will also be doing a few 5 gallon batches to get the hang of the system. I had initially started collecting parts for a cooler setup, and then got a wild hair and built this instead. So I have done a few partials, but no all grain yet. Any recommendations for a easy first batch.

Do something to show off your new option. Grain selection. Do something with marris otter, melanoidin, 2 different crystal malts and maybe carafoam. Get goofy with the grainbill! YOU CAN NOW!!!!! Why wimp out and only put one specialty grain in it. Now you can add that 1/2 lb of wheat malt to add just that much more head retention. My vote is to go nuts on the specialty grains but mash low to keep the final gravity low. And grats on a SEXXXY brand new system!!! :rockin:

The only disappointment is the plywood top. You should scavenge the earth for some second hand diamond plate. Other than that, it's dead sexy.

Yeah it is temporary, I have a nice piece of black countertop I can use, but didnt want to cut the hole for the burner whan I plan to switch to all electric before too long, so its just there for now. But here in town we have a recycling yard that has literally stacks and stacks of new 4x4, 4x8, stainless sheets, diamond plate, aluminum, its a beautiful sight. Something will go there soon.

So I did some testing and one last extract batch that I had the ingredients for. I discovered that I can recirc the HLT through the HX and just move the discharge from the MLT to the HLT, that lets me use both heater elements to heat the HLT up for brewing. I just turn both on to 170 and turn the pump on, Its considerably faster than the one element alone.

Clean up is also easy, I filled my BK with soapy water and recirc through the CFC, back to the BK this cleans the sticky wort from all the pipes and the pump so it will turn next brew session. I can then send the water I need anywhere.

When its all clean I can drain and fill with clean water and the open the drain valve, the siphon action pulls the water from all the pipes and tubes and drains the whole system so I dont get any frozen pipes.

Nicely done, lots of good ideas there, i'm about 25% through my build and i'm going very close to the same direction as you.

Very nice and nice to see someone from Yakima (my home town) with a rig like this.

I have a beef about Yakima though. I was just back there for Christmas and could not find any hops that were not brewcraft brand imported from who knows where but probably originated from Yakima.

For a valley that produces 80% of the US crops where in the hell do you buy local hops at? Sorry that was a side tangent. Seriously awesome rig.

Very nice and nice to see someone from Yakima (my home town) with a rig like this.

I have a beef about Yakima though. I was just back there for Christmas and could not find any hops that were not brewcraft brand imported from who knows where but probably originated from Yakima.

For a valley that produces 80% of the US crops where in the hell do you buy local hops at? Sorry that was a side tangent. Seriously awesome rig.

I dont know if the hop union sells in smaller quantities, but thats where most of the people in my brew club get them. There always seems to be free hops around town.

here is the hop unions website, if they dont do small quantities, there might be a possibility for a group buy.

Hopunion CBS LLC

Here is some freebie hops I just got tonight from a guy in the homebrew club.
0123092020.jpg

Back