British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started getting everything ready for tomorrow, and found I'm out of FLAKED OATS.
Does anyone know an alternative for them? I have quite a few things on hand, but not the oats.
Thanks

EDIT------ quick oats will have to do--- off to grocery store

Well sparky... with all the rave about awards, and the fact I like nut brown ales, I decided to double up the recipe, and make a final total of 12 gallons.
It's likely to be a little green by thanksgiving, but I'm sure some sampling will happen.

I intend to keg this, and wonder your method....since you have short days in primary, and secondary, I'm thinking you're kegging. Also, would there be an issue with just leaving it in the primary for the total days?

When I keg, I don't use a secondary. 3 weeks in the primary is plenty, then straight to the keg. It doesn't get any easier than that. :mug:

Good question. I'll try to remember to check when I get home, but I bet it was 70 or 75% - I never get really high efficiency.

70% - fixed it in the original post. Thanks.

So I have another question. My keg of this brew is almost kicked and I think due to my imprecise brewing practices my brew turned out different than intended. Maybe. That's what I'm asking. My grain bill was identical and my hops were identical. The only difference was the length of boil. Due to mechanical failure my brew was on the flame for several hours waiting to get to a "boil". It never did, but after a couple of hours it was down to the right volume.

My flavors were roasty, toasty, chocolaty, coffeey, and nutty. Very much so on all counts. My color was brown, but a DARK brown. Wonderful head. Creamy. Just very strong flavors. Heavy on the malt. Low on the hops. What would you describe the flavor profile of the nut brown coming out of your keg to be.

Thanks in advance guys!

Oooo, good question. I would describe the flavor profile very similar to your description. I'm not sure what effect the extra long weak boil vs shorter strong boil would have.

Was there something about how it turned out that you'd like to change? Might be able to help on that if you want to tweak the recipe.

I don't think I'd change anything really. It turned out a bit heavier than I would have thought. The mouthfeel is almost chewy in a porter-y kind of way. I think I was expecting a "session" type of beer, but what came out was more than that. It's satisfying and filling. The head looks like brownish tinted marshmallow creme...and it is very creamy. My cousin tried it thinking it was going to be a Newcastle kind of flavor, but what I brewed is much more complex tasting than that. He said it was too strong. Said something about needing a scoop of ice-cream to go along with it. That being said, he's no beer snob. He drinks a Heiny-Light and thinks he's done something cultured.

I was just interested to know if what I brewed fell in line with what I should have expected. Sounds like it turned out about right. I'm happy with it, but as a novice brewer I guess I was looking for reinforcement.

Good beer. Really good beer.

I see. Well, if you want to brew something a little lighter next time this is what I'd try.

Cut the 2 row by a lb and the specialty grains by 1/3 ea. It'll be lighter, but still retain a lot of the flavor characteristics. I may try something along those lines myself and see how it turns out.

I will have to do it soon. This beer has been on the gas for about a week and a half...I'm drinking it by myself and it's almost gone if that tells you anything! Better get some ingredients...

Quaker Old Fashioned or the Quick 1 Min variety? Or do you use oats from the Homebrew store. I'm thinking of fresh rolled oats from my greain roller (used for making cereal) that way it's fresh rolled, just like my grains, fresh crushed just minutes before the mash.

From www.howtobrew.com (great resource!). Flaked oats from the HBS are like instant oats. You can use other types, but you should cook them according to directions first.

Oatmeal 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.

I gotta apologize sparky. I've soiled your reputation with my version of your Brown Ale. I just got my score sheet back and got a mere 25.5 points (a 25 and a 26) in the Land of the Muddy Waters competition. Don't hate me. It was only my 3rd beer.

Both judges noted a "musty" aroma, which I didn't detect in the kegged beer. Of course it's gone by now. I wonder if my bottleing technique (from the keg) was flawed and it was oxidized by the time they opened it.

I'm going to try that recipe again. I enjoyed it immensely.

I've seen the other partial mash recipes and have to decided to give this a try. However, I'd rather use more grain and less extract if possible. Would I be able to get away with this:

3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.77 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.03 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.61 %
Bitterness: 22.0 IBU
Est Color: 16.2 SRM

Is this two much grain for my small partial mash setup?

Thanks.

I think the only limit to that partial mash is your ability to hold 6.75 lbs of grain plus water in your MLT. If you have a 5 gallon cooler then no problem, probably even fine for a 3 gallon cooler. I just remember reading that over 5 lbs of grain becomes tougher if you are using a 2 gallon cooler.

I just brewed this up today. I forgot my Irish Moss and didn't get a real good cold break. I'm expecting it to be a bit hazey but otherwise everything went perfect. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe.

Schlante,
Phillip

For my birthday today, I thought I would brew up a 2.5 gal batch of this! I can't wait to see how this turns out. I am going with all EKG for both additions.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I just ordered my supplies for my next 2 batches and this recipe is one of them. I hope it comes out great...based on all the posts here, I sounds like a solid recipe.

My supply source is out of EKG at the moment but I had them substitute Willamette ( I was going to use EKG for both additions ). The AA% is way lower ( 3.9% ) so I'm adjusting my bittering hops via Promash, but how much should I adjust the 15 minute addition, if at all? I'm going 1.25 oz at 60 and .75 oz at 15, for total IBU of 25.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

I just finished putting a batch of this in the fermenter. I cut the Goldings back to .5 oz to lower the IBU's a bit. It smelled great!

I just brewed this up today. I forgot my Irish Moss and didn't get a real good cold break. I'm expecting it to be a bit hazey but otherwise everything went perfect. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe.

Schlante,
Phillip

I bottled it this past Tuesday and it taste pretty good. I think it's going to need a little time to improve, but will be fine after a month or two in the bottle (seemed a bit rough). Also forgot to add that I used Glacier hops for bittering and KG for flavor/aroma.

This bier is going to be my entry into my HB club's 1st quarter inter club style specific competition. With that in mind I only bottled 3 gallons of this and put 1 gallon on bourbon soaked wood chips & 1 gallon on scotch soaked wood chips. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps mine's a beautiful amber color!

Has anyone used a different yeast with this recipe?? Just curious.

Nottingham is easy and it works great with this recipe, so that's what I listed. Windsor and S-05 have also given good results. I haven't tried any liquid yeast strains, but I'm sure several of them would be great. That's the wonderful thing about homebrewing - you can try whatever variations sound good to you.

Schlante,
Phillip

Tasted my first bottle today, 9 days in the bottle, I always try a bottle at 1 week or so. Mouth feel is heavy for a N. English Brown, but color, and aroma are perfect. It could use 1-2 oz. of roasted barley to help dry it out, and perhaps cut back on the oats by 4-8 oz. From a style point that would make it fit better. As is, it's simple, tasty, straight forward and dang drinkable! :mug:

I only bottled 3 gallons of this bier. I put the other 2 gallons, 1 each on wood chips, one bourbon soaked, the other scotch smoked. I'm bottling this tonight, but it'll be a while before it hits it's peak, I'll let ya know how it goes. I think it'll be a good marriage considering how heavy this bier feels!

Schlante,
Phillip

Here is a version of this original recipe that my LHBS helped me put together... I would be interested in what you guys think.

Recipe

Extracts
2.00 pounds DME - Light 24.2% of grist
2.00 pounds Total Extract Weight 24.2% of grist

Grains
4.00 pounds Golden Promise 48.5% of grist
1.00 pounds Briess Caramel Malt 12.1% of grist
0.50 pounds Briess Victory Malt 6.1% of grist
0.25 pounds Briess Chocolate Malt 3% of grist
0.50 pounds Flaked Oats 6.1% of grist
6.25 pounds Total Grain Weight 75.8% of grist

Miscellaneous Ingredients (Non-Fermentable)
1 tab Whirflock @ 10 minutes (Boil)

Hops
1.00 ounces Fuggle 4.5% Pellets @ 60 minutes
Use: Boil 4.5 AAUs

1.00 ounces Kent Golding 5.0% Pellets @ 15 minutes
Use: Boil 5 AAUs

2.00 ounces Total Hop Weight 9.5 AAUs

Yeast
WYEAST Wyeast #1768 English Bitter — Liquid — 1 smack pack

I used Fuggles and it seems pretty good, though i'll admit i have no idea what it SHOULD taste like since this was my first attempt at it

I made it with Fuggles last time, but B3 is out of them. I am looking for a sub for those as well.

Just kicked my keg of this (with the juniper extract) last night, I almost cried. I'll be brewing this again this weekend hopefully.

I've had this in the bottle for 8 days and sampled one this afternoon (just for prosperity). This is an excellent brew - the flaked oats really stand out and the victory and caramel malt really balance the beer out. It needs another 3 weeks to age but will only improve with time - highly recommended! Thanks!! :tank:

Wow! I was just rolling through the recipe database and started reading this thread. Quite the popular brew. My only Brown was so-so and it tended a bit to the heavy side. I think I might try yours and lighten it a bit.

Regards,
Alan

Back