Hop pellets vs. whole leaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I just was looking at my ingredients, and some of the hops are pellets, and some are in what look like the form of leaf. I have only used pellets before, and was wondering if i use the whole leaf hops the same way. Do I need a hop bag or just dump into the wort as is.

I dump them into the wort as is, but I also have a strainer that I put over my funnel. That way, when I rack to the primary all the hops are filtered out. For pellet hops I use a plastic "hop bag" so that the hop material all stays together. You could also put your leaf hops in here as well.

You do use them in the same way physically, yes. If you are going to calculate IBU's from them there is a utilization difference. You can just throw them in your wort or you can use hop bags. Hop bags or straining will make things less messy for you but as long as you're using a secondary fermenter really aren't necessary (you'll siphon away from them going into secondary).

On my trip to the lhbs last week for ingredients, they only had one of the hops I needed in whole leaf form. I've never worked with them and the guy there suggested I use an nylon strainer bag that fits in my fermenter, it has an elastic band around it to hold it while you pour the wort into the bucket.

img-785-580-1834.jpg

It's reusable and washable.

Revvy said:
On my trip to the lhbs last week for ingredients, they only had one of the hops I needed in whole leaf form. I've never worked with them and the guy there suggested I use an nylon strainer bag that fits in my fermenter, it has an elastic band around it to hold it while you pour the wort into the bucket.
img-785-580-1834.jpg

It's reusable and washable.
You can get them at a hardware store cheaper than LHBS. They are Paint strainers and come in 1 gal and 5 gal.
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40738

Brewtopia said:
That looks like a big pair of granny shorts :D

I pulled the pic off google image...uh maybe it is a huge pair of granny pants sometimes the pics don't match the captions.... (Wasn't there a thread about brewing with a pair of Paris Hilton's nickers a few months back?):D

Back