Any clue why my Williamette cones look like Tina Turner on a bad hair day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crhatfield

Reaction score
This normal for Williamette or is the plant sick?

003.jpg

Thanks,
- Cecil

These look like burrs, that haven't had a chance to mature into actual, real hop cones yet.

When did you plant? How long after flowering did you wait before you picked these?

obviously the pics above are less mature than the pics from the OP. I really think they are immature cones.

If all of the hops develop in a similar way as those pictured I'd say it may be nutrient related ~ were those taken from any specific region of the plant? If they're first year hops I wouldn't be too concerned as immature plants end up doing some strange stuff while establishing. Keep us updated.

They were fully mature cones. Very dry, possibly too ripe. It was planted around April. Just never developed right.

I'd write this year off as an establishment year learning experience (you and the plants). If they do the same thing next year it's probably some type of bug in the soil (virus/nutrient etc.). Do you have other varieties growing and do they have similar problems? Is it just the cones or does the whole plant show irregular growth? Lots of variables could be at work here . . . sorry, but nothing jumps out and screams "I'm the problem" at this point.

I think they look more like static x. why tina turner? Becaus she liked wearing her natural hair, as a proud black woman?

Back