does incandescent light hurt fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dachbach

Reaction score
So everything was going great with my batch last night until I woke up this morning to change water bottles in my swamp cooler and realized I had left the light on in the basement for 12 hours...

There is no sunlight in my basement but it is very bright with incandescent bulbs. Am I screwed?

Yeah, fluorescent lights will skunk beer. Technically, incandescents can as well, but would take a lot longer than 12 hours.

I use fluorescents in my basement, which is where the magic happens. Since almost all fermentation occurs in plastic buckets and most of my stuff is primary only, I'm not too worried, in addition to the fact that the lights are off down there almost all the time and it's blacker than the pit, because all the windows were sealed up long ago. But if I'm doing something with beer in a carboy (bulk aging, mostly), I take a large black plastic trash bag, tear a hole in the middle of the bottom that will admit the neck of the carboy, and use that to block any stray rays. I've been doing that for 5 years, seems to work.

Back