Batch 2 - (I)IPA single hop suggestions/schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonraker

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch (an extract kit) two days ago and decided to help pass the time before I get to finally start drinking it by brewing another batch. I want develop and use my own recipe as I figure that will help with the learning process. To that end, I would like to keep it simple - one DME, one specialty malt, single hop - so that I can better understand their contributions to the finished product. I hope that makes sense.

So, the plan is to use 8lbs of light DME (because I like 'em on the strong side) in a partial (2 gallon) boil, after seeping 1lb of Crystal 40L for 30 minutes at 160 or so (mainly just for a bit of color).

Draft schedule for the single hop is 4oz of pellets for 90 minutes, 2oz for 45 minutes, 2oz for 5 minutes, which would give an estimated 72 IBUs based on a 10%AA hop, and 4 more oz in the secondary.

Yeast will probably be dried Safale US-05, maybe two packets.

First - any recommendations for which (single) variety to use for a big, strong, hoppy IPA? Needs to be one easily available at the LHBS.

Second - assuming up to 12oz of aforesaid hop, what would be a good schedule to create a fairly characteristic profile while delivering on the IBUs? I figure given the amount of sugars in that small boil a 90 minute boil will be required to get the IBUs up where I want them.

Any and all advice welcomed. I just want it to keep it simple, strong, and bitter.

First post!

Founder's Centennial IPA is an all centennial hops beer, and i LOVE it. centennial is very citrusy. it makes a great American style IPA.

+1 on the centennial hops! Got one of those 'all centennial' ipa's in my glass, good stuff.
I used 8# of Sun Country pale LME, .75# crystal 60, .25# biscuit/victory and a classified amount of centennial hops @ 9.6% AA. Good f'n beer.
Amarillos and cascades are great for single hop pale ales too.

+1 for centennial. It's a great hop that is very versatile. I like to use a hop profile like this one http://brewery.org/library/Hopprofs0497.html. If you are going to do a single hop use in any beer, I would suggest to pick a hop that is good at both bittering and for aroma and taste. Some are good at only one, and not the other. Centennial is a great all purpose hop though.

Centennial appears to be the popular choice. I do like the Founders Centennial so that should fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks...

You may want to scrap the 45min addition you prob won't get much if any flavor boiling that long and prob better off moving some to 60min to get your Target ibu and move the rest up to late in the boil for more flavor and aroma

You may want to scrap the 45min addition you prob won't get much if any flavor boiling that long and prob better off moving some to 60min to get your Target ibu and move the rest up to late in the boil for more flavor and aroma

Thanks.

How late? Add more to the 5 minute point or earlier (10, 15, 20 minutes)? Does aroma/flavor vary greatly at different points late in the boil?

First, I second that you should not do a 45 min. addition, but rather than just dropping it split it between 90 and 15 min.

Also, even though it looks like you're set on Centennial for this beer, I would like to throw in my two cents and say that Citra is currently my favorite hop. I also made a single hop extra hoppy session pale ale recently that was all Chinook. It is delicious even though a lot of people didn't think it would be any good for flavor and aroma. I think it would work even better in a iipa. Again, just my opinion. Centennial is a great hop for single hop beers too. Hard to argue with Founders Centennial and Bells Two Hearted.

Good stuff. So, keeping it simple, I figure 4oz for bittering (90 minutes), 4oz for flavor (1oz at 15, 10, 5, 0), and 4oz for aroma (dry-hop in secondary).

I think I can safely add a half-gallon to the boil size (to make 2.5 gal) in my 16qt kettle to get some of the lost IBUs back.

Then, if it comes out ok, try it again with another hop variety.

Cheers.

Back