recipe lock in Beertools Pro???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discooby

Reaction score
Is there a way to “lock” a recipe in beertools pro? I searched the beertools pro forum with no luck.

I create a recipe, brewed it, made adjustments to the recipe (efficiency, time, notes, etc.) and saved it in a folder that I created. I made a duplicate of that recipe and added it to “Planned Recipes” as I’m planning on brewing that again. But, as I fool around with adjusting quantities, efficiency, ingredients, etc. (in the planned recipe), it’s also making those changes to the original recipe :(

I would like to keep my past recipes as is (locked) and be able to adjust duplicates in my planned recipe folder. Am I going about this wrong? Do I have to re-enter the exact recipe as a new recipe every time I brew it in order to make changes to each individual one? :confused:

Or create two folders under the main recipe folder. One for "Original" and one for "Planned". Open the recipe from the original folder, click on the planned folder, and choose "Save in Planned". You'll have two completely separate copies.

Then do not use the built in planned recipe folder.

Thanks for the replies; I finally figured it out using both posts. :mug:

What a crazy file structure.

*I still want to use the planned recipe folder to take advantage of the shopping list.

But, by creating a duplicate, saving that as a different name (As Bobby_M suggested) and following clegg’s suggestion:

Or create two folders under the main recipe folder. One for "Original" and one for "Planned". Open the recipe from the original folder, click on the planned folder, and choose "Save in Planned". You'll have two completely separate copies.

Then do not use the built in planned recipe folder.

…I then highlight and move the recipes in the “Planned” folder to the “Planned Recipe” folder so I can use the shopping list. I can now make changes to the new renamed recipe and after brewing it I can open it and > File > “Save in Brewed” –Brewed folder – for History. I’m assuming the “Planned Recipe” folder is a virtual folder that pulls from which-ever folder the recipe came from… changes in the “Planned Recipe” folder also changes the original.

I also noticed that by going into the Windows folder and moving / changing names of .btp files will not reflect in BeerTools Pro GUI unless you go-to Library > Scan for Recipes > Import. Those then go to an “Import” folder. :drunk:

Thanks again for the replies!

Does anybody know if there mirror site anywhere for Beertools Pro? I upgraded to IE9 and for the life of me I cannot get it download from their site. I now have 0/5 download attempts left.

If not I'll have to wait until the next software update. Ahhhh!! And, try again with Mozilla.

The computer gods allow you to have more than one installed browser for just those occasions. I usually have Firefox & Opera installed.

Back