Campden tablets Quantity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I did my first all grain on Saturday gone, went very well. It was the first time I've used my tap water and I wanted to treat it with the campden. I read to use half a tablet for every 5 gallons. These tablets are tiny, can this be correct? I ended up using half a crushed tab for my mash water, and a quarter each for my two batches of sparge water, reason being that we are talking about a 35L volume of water and I simply can't treat ALL my water at once.

yikes! yeah, I mean it's fermenting away at the moment, but I can't get to grips with how half a crushed tablet (very small tablet) could have any real affect on such a large volume of water. Is there any alternative additive to campden?

yikes! yeah, I mean it's fermenting away at the moment, but I can't get to grips with how half a crushed tablet (very small tablet) could have any real affect on such a large volume of water. Is there any alternative additive to campden?

Well, you have like 3 ppm chlorine in your water, give or take, so it doesn't take much of any additive to react with it fully.

There are other things that will react with chlorine, tons, but none do it better than campden or with fewer side effects.

Carbon filtration works too.

I see, I see. So presumably I would have to add the campden to the water pre mash and sparge, I couldn't just add it to my starting boil volume?

Yeah, all the water should be treated. The reaction is pretty fast though, like minutes would be a safe amount of contact.

When I used to use campden and had to treat mash vs sparge water separately, I just crushed the tablet and eyeballed half for the mash water and half for the sparge water (well not quite half and half but eyeballed based on the ratio of water). That always worked fine for me. As I was using enough campden to treat 20 gallons and only treating 8 or 9 I obviously had a decent margin for error on my eyeballing. If your margin for error is tighter, weight it on the cocaine scale that you bought of Ebay for $10 for weighing hops.

Back