Fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeydawson

Reaction score
Is there a maximum temperature that you wouldn't want to exceed when brewing? It seems that ideal temperature is 24-28/30 degrees celcius, but would a higher temperature (32 or so) affect the beer to any extent?

Also, what are the ideal conditions for storing after bottling?

Thanks

It depends on the style and the yeast. I have started fermenting at about 65 degree Farenheit.

If I bottle, I let it condition at 64-72 and then store at whatever the temp is in my crawl space. usually below 65.

I don't know celsius, but for most ale strains of yeast, less than 70 is ideal. For some belgians and others there are higher good temps, with probably the highest being Saison, which can ferment up to 95 degrees. For bottling, 70 is ideal until you get proper carbonation (usually 3 weeks or so), then you put them in the fridge.

When you say brewing, do you mean fermenting?

OK, so 32C is 89.6F. That is way too hot for most (maybe all) beer. Again, for ferementation temps it depends on the yeast strain but I personally would only go over 72F (22C) for hefeweizen yeast and stay around 68F (20C) for most other ales.

After bottling you want to be around fermentation temps to carbonate (around 20C). After that, the cooler the better. IMO, you would store it around 0C and warm it when you are ready to drink. The cooler temps will help clear the beer. The beer will age faster at higher temps.

I like to ferment toward the lower end of the yeast's temperature range. I would definitely never go above 22C. If you can't avoid temps higher than that I would recommend a water bath with wet towels over the fermenter.

Cheer for the replies. I might try using a wet towel or something to keep it a little cooler.

Had a heat wave here in San Diego last week, same day I helped my sister to brew her first batch. No ac in an uninsulated flat. Had to pitch the yeast at 88 F. Fermented out fine to 5%, but ended up with lots of fruit esters.

For bottling, 70 is ideal until you get proper carbonation (usually 3 weeks or so), then you put them in the fridge.

I have temp control for my primary (spare fridge w/Johnson) but I am running out of room for carbing in there.

What are everyone's thoughts on carbing at higher room temps (which in Tx can be 78F). I am currently carbing apfelwein at that temp with no apparent ill effects.

So for most of the stuff I brew it would look like this :

* primary in Johnson fridge at 65F for 2wks
* carb at 78F room temp for (2wk? 3wks?)
* refrigerate at 40F thereafter

I have temp control for my primary (spare fridge w/Johnson) but I am running out of room for carbing in there.

What are everyone's thoughts on carbing at higher room temps (which in Tx can be 78F). I am currently carbing apfelwein at that temp with no apparent ill effects.

So for most of the stuff I brew it would look like this :

* primary in Johnson fridge at 65F for 2wks
* carb at 78F room temp for (2wk? 3wks?)
* refrigerate at 40F thereafter

That is fine. I have done that (carb at 78), not a problem.

Back