beer wasn't that carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
ok the thing about this is it's only been a week in the bottle and my beer isnt that carbonated. i know the rule of thumb is 2 weeks at least to try it. but i fugered since i have like 60 of them it wouldnt hurt to try one now! any how the beer tastes awesome but low carbonation. is it because it needs to be in the bottle longer? i primed 6 gallons with 1 1/2 cup DME.

I've never primed with DME, I've only had experience with corn sugar, but 1 week is definitely not enough time to get good carbonation in the bottles. At the very minimum 2 weeks.... 3 is better.

Well, with DME I'd say a minumum of 3 weeks, 4-5 would be better. DME takes longer than corn sugar as a rule. Make sure you keep them at 70-75 degrees, also!

It's hard to wait, but that's all that is needed here.

Brew Dude said:
I've never primed with DME, I've only had experience with corn sugar, but 1 week is definitely not enough time to get good carbonation in the bottles. At the very minimum 2 weeks.... 3 is better.

Ok, ty. thats probably what it is then. but for a 5 gallon batch i have primed with
1 1/4 cup DME and it was perfect. so i figured 1 1/2 cup for 6 gallons

YooperBrew said:
Well, with DME I'd say a minumum of 3 weeks, 4-5 would be better. DME takes longer than corn sugar as a rule. Make sure you keep them at 70-75 degrees, also!

It's hard to wait, but that's all that is needed here.

Awesome thank you man. but the beer tastes really good. it's a really simple recipe and i REALLY like it. 8lbs LME 3oz Cascade hops water and Safale yeast. oh yeah and 1 1/2 oz oak chips. i initially thought the oak chips might not work out, but the beer tastes like a nice pale ale. im really happy with it ...being my second batch since i recently started trying to brew again. and thanks for all the help. i seriously don't know what i would do without these forums.

Back