Your House Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
So I've been working on an amber that would serve as a "house beer" , one that would always be stocked in my fridge. Anybody else brew up a "House beer" that they always keep on stock and if so what is it?

I have a few that I consider my "house" beers - that I brew very regularly and I always have 3-4-5 of these on tap.

British Ordinary Bitter
British Dark Mild
Oatmeal Amber Ale
"C-Hop" APA
Munich Helles

Summer I usually have an american wheat and winter I usually have a porter.

I almost always have one or both of the british beers on tap. Probably always have one or the other of the amber and APA..... sometimes both (like now:). Brew the helles probably 4-6 times a year.

I don't. Although I probably should keep my better ones on tap more. I generally keep a blonde on tap for friends. I also keep an IPA either in bottle or on tap. But those aren't house recipes, most of the time there new recipes. I re-brew recipes on request and some others a couple times through out the year. But the recipe is usually tweaked every time.

As above, I try to keep a few brews on tap at all times alongside a few that change from keg to keg (I have a six faucet keezer). But if I had to pick a single "house beer" from the lot, it'd be the IPA brewed with my home-grown Chinook/Cascade/Centennial hops. It's both of my sons' favorite - and I'm kinda keen on it myself :)

Cheers!

...... it'd be the IPA brewed with ........ Chinook/Cascade/Centennial hops. ........and I'm kinda keen on it myself :)

Cheers!

Hey....... I have that beer on tap right now too:) I either use that hop combo or sometimes just use "7 C'S" hop blend for my "house APA." Just getting ready to pour one:mug:

I keep an American Amber Ale on hand year round. I like to have three different styles on hand all the time, but the amber ale is my spirit lifter.

I have a House Amber as well. An amber seems to fit the pallet of all my friends quite nicely.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Home Brew mobile app

My wife really prefers the darker style beers. My English Brown Porter, I always try to have a few ready to drink. I recently brewed a English "Standard" Bitter, that I enjoyed right until the end.

Primary #1 Brown Porter
Primary #2 American Stout ( My first attempt at this style)

Bottled: Black IPA, Triple Chocolate Stout, ESB, Conditioned Brown Porter, American Amber Ale #2, Hard Cider, and Apple Jack.

EDIT: My Brown Porter just won Best Of Category in both the Porters and Stouts last week. If it wasn't for my loving wife pushing me to "Enter it a contest." I never would have. The first contest I entered, I was then a new brewer, and got killed by the judges. Looking back they were right, I shouldn't have even tried to enter a contest. Fast forward over one year and many batches later, I am not wanting to ask for high fives from anyone. The most positive thing I get from winning, is a reassurance that my methods and processes are correct when I brew, or very close to it.
I do not plan on entering any contests anytime soon, but I will definitely keep on brewing to the best of my ability as I know how.

One of my brew-year's resolutions was to stop brewing every new recipe I tripped over and focus on re-brewing a few of my favorite recipes until they are perfected (or as close as an average brewer can get).

As part of the project I decided to treat my six house taps like a brew pub. I'm going to have 4-5 'house' beers on tap at all times and rotate in 1-2 seasonal and speciality beers.

My house beers are an IPA, Brown Ale, Czech Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout, Helles and a Berliner Weisse.

Brew often beers include a Hoppy Brown, Bavarian Wheat, Kolsch and an Irish Blonde.

The only beer I've brewed more than once are a porter and my clone of Harvey's Best Bitter.

I'm aiming to keep the Harvey's in the queue somewhere (only got two kegs and taps though), although it's developing as a beer - I've altered the crystal malt color this time, and hopefully next time I'll have some actual Harvey's yeast rather than WLP002. The porter I'm aiming to keep brewing as a winter seasonal beer, but again, I'm sure it'll develop. Going to make sure to keep some bottles back this time to taste next winter.

I have spent a lot of time recently honing a house APA that is around 4% abv and very hoppy. I am finally getting it right where I want it. I think ill work on a nice American stout next and keep those two as the house beers.

I found a recipe in the recipe section....I believe it was yoopers apa....very hoppy and it tasted awesome.....just a thought...

No true beer on tap all the time but two go to recipes for when I'm dragging beer to a mixed party group or a tailgate...

Pale ale: 72% 2-row, 20% pale ale malt, 4% c40, 4% carafoam. Hops vary but always a bright fruity flavor & aroma hop. 4.5% abv.

Crossover lager: 60% pils, 20% Vienna, 15% flaked corn, 5% carafoam, cluster or northern brewer bittering, NZ hop for flavor & aroma. 5-5.5% abv.

Of my six taps, I always try to have my house pale on tap. It's the one every guest loves and raves about.....plus I like it too. Something magical about Simcoe and Amarillo paired together.

One of my brew-year's resolutions was to stop brewing every new recipe I tripped over and focus on re-brewing a few of my favorite recipes until they are perfected (or as close as an average brewer can get).

As part of the project I decided to treat my six house taps like a brew pub. I'm going to have 4-5 'house' beers on tap at all times and rotate in 1-2 seasonal and speciality beers.

My house beers are an IPA, Brown Ale, Czech Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout, Helles and a Berliner Weisse.

Brew often beers include a Hoppy Brown, Bavarian Wheat, Kolsch and an Irish Blonde.

I love this idea!

I always have a cream ale available, since most of my friends and my dad don't care for 'dark beers' (anything darker than Miller Lite is a dark beer). They all like my cream ale, and it disappears fast, so I make it a lot.

I just got a kegerator last week which I'm really excited about. I'm upgrading it to a dual tap so one can be my house beer and the other a rotating tap. My house beer to start will be a really dry/crisp/citrusy pilsner malt based IPA I've brewed before. Can't wait to have it on tap!

I always have an ESP, my favorite< and an American Light Lager, Most guys favorite, and everyone gets their favorite and no one goes away upset.

My theory is that not everyone likes good beer. I get that by seeing we sell more light beers here in the USA than anything else.

So, not wanting to be a beer snob, and wanting to treat all my friends equally, I make sure they get as much hospitality as the guys who do have taste.

I could be a beer snob and stick my nose in the air and stuff. But I am not a poser, so I keep my favorite and a light beer on tap at all times, I will have others, but those are always up.

Up until Christmas I only had one fermentor but I got three more. So I am hoping to now brew often enough to have a house beer. It will most likely be an ESB since its one of my favorite styles and I drink Fullers ESB when I am watching my Gunners play on weekend mornings. If you have a beer you drink regularly in the a.m. that should probably be my house brew. Haha

I always have an Irish Red Ale on tap or in bottles, but I am thinking about replacing that with the Common Room ESB!

I usually keep an ESB on tap as well. It's a style that is not as common as an IPA or Pale Ale and my craft beer friends find this a nice change of pace.

I have 3 taps and I have an American Amber that I always have on tap. It's my favorite style for everyday drinking and it seems to be a nice gateway beer for those who are lighter beer drinkers.

From there I usually mix the other two up. I'm always experimenting with IPAs, so I usually have one of those on tap, then the other one usually ends up being something I don't brew as often. Usually gets a porter or stout for winter months, Brown for fall and then either an APA or a blonde lighter style for summer.

I usually have at least one or both of my Strawberry Ale and Hoppy Amber on tap at all times so those would be my "house brews".

Janet's Brown Ale...The chocolate malt and C-hops are a killer combo. So damn smooth for the ABV. Only homebrew so far I just can never get sick of.

I have a house saison and and coconut black ipa that I normally always keep around.

I tend to keep helles on tap, for family and because its so damn tasty.. Then I typically go martzen, then bock, then new yeast... I have an American amber I brew frequently

I'm a big fan of amber hybrids, so I regularly re brew Dusseldorf Alt and California Common. Alt is a style everyone should try IMO.

The past year or so I have been going pretty heavy into yeast fermented ginger beer. I've done several different recipes of my own with extract, PM and AG and all have been a hit with whomever has tried them. I prefer AG partially because a lighter color seems to be a compliment. I never expected that they would be as good as they are and so well taken. Dry and crisp seems to be the most popular much to my surprise. I tend to break them out in warm to hot weather which helps explain that I believe.

I don't keep any particular beer always on tap, but I almost always have some Apfelwein on tap. I don't drink it very often, but my wife and my friends love it. It's easy and cheap to make so it's easy to have on hand year round.

I always have a Cream Ale available along with a dry-hopped American Wheat. Something that would satisfy most individuals that come over that know nothing about beer...

My original house beer was called Happy Wife Ale:
10 pounds 2 row pale, 1 pound toasted 15 mins at 350F
1/2 pound carapils
Mash at 154 for 60-75 minutes
Hops: 1.5 oz Hallertau 60 minutes, 1.5 at 20
Note: the hops I used varied from batch to batch for a while until I decided on Hallertau
Yeast(like the hops the yeast varied for a few batches)Nottingham, fermented at 60F internal temp. In the winter I would use a WhiteLabs lager yeast for this beer.
This was a very light, easy drinking ale with enough body to differentiate it from crappy commercial lagers, but close enough that anybody could enjoy it.

I keep a dry stout in house always...i call it the St James Gate beatdown stout... no i dont, but it would be awesome if i did

Latest posts

Back