Length of beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torstensson

Reaction score
I currently have a bar with 2 taps but would like to have at least 4.
The problem is that my cornys wont fit in the bar.

The solution would be to put a freezer in a storeroom about 4 meters away from the bar. The beer lines would probably end up being around 5,5 meters.

The beer in the freezer will be cooled and I already have a beer cooler similar to Cornelius Maxi 210 just before the taps.

From just some quick calculation I would need about 30 PSI extra to push the beer in the beer line and beer cooler.

Does anybody see problems with this set up?

You will need to cool the lines or your beer will be foamy. I ran my lines 7.62m, 25ft, and went with a glycol pump and a trunk line to keep the lines cool. I have not had to increase the pressure by very much to push beer through the lines. I think I am around 15psi on straight CO2 and closer to 30psi for the beer gas, for Guinness.

Use bigger diameter lines so you don't need so much pressure. 30 psi is going to over-carb you beer for sure.

The beer cooler at the faucet end could be a game changer wrt having to otherwise run a glycol trunk line (and deal with all that). I don't know anything about how well those generally work, and how warm the incoming beer can be before it overwhelms the cooling capacity.

But pushing with 30psi of straight CO2 would likely be a disaster regardless of the plumbing. Either beer gas (around 50/50, if that 30psi was calculated) or larger diameter lines for most of the distance and leading to 3 or 4 feet of 3/16" ID chokers, would at least get things on the right track...

Cheers!

Thanks for all the answers.

It sounds like I will be needing a pump.
I will make some experiments with bigger diameter on the beer line without pump first to see the results.

Anybody know of any pumps that are available at a reasonbly price?
Do these turn up on ebay or should I start checking with pubs?

Found this pump, Flojet G56, on several locations. It's available at micro-matic which is good since they can be found in Sweden.
Guessing that I need one pump for each keg.

Back