Propane question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horseshoot

Reaction score
Hey all. I am in the infantile stages of my dream brew sculpture. My vision is a welded (or perhaps bolted) steel single tier. I plan on automation for shutting burners off and on, as needed. And am planing a direct fired RIMS, set-up. I am going to buy two Chugger pumps (and likely loads of other supplies!), from Bobby_M. I plan to use camlock disconnects, for ease of cleaning the lines. I am currently obtaining kegs, and converting them. The brew keggle is complete!

I have looked the site over, and have learned a lot about propane. But I still have questions.

My house uses propane only for the kitchen range. The previous owners had a propane fired clothes dryer. Ours is electric. The copper tubing for the clothes dryer propane is still in my basement (with the valve turned off!). Could I patch into this and use that source of propane? If so, what considerations do I need to make when choosing the 3 burners for my brew stand?

Thanks for any and all help!

Mike
:mug:

you have a lot more considerations using propane in a basement besides choosing the right burners. Indoor propane is very dangerous. Maybe even more so in a basement. You really need to research the dangers. If you decide to proceed, you need to examine ways to both vent and bring in make up air. This gets even more complicated if you have a gas furnace or water heater in this area as you could potentially affect their pilots and exhaust if you venting is not done properly. I would not use propane in the basement. With this said I am building a propane set up in a shed but the safety issue is quite a bit less there as there are less factors to consider. The good news is that you are just starting and havent bought the stuff yet. I would advice you to go electric. You will still have to vent steam and get in makeup air, but you wont poison yourself or your family with carbon monoxide.

OK. I should have been clearer. This is a room OFF my basement that is under a porch. It is not under the main part of the house. I have been brewing there for 6 years. I have a ventilation system already installed. haha. I forgot that tidbit. :)

Mike

And I am NOT going electric. 1. I am uninterested in having the electrical supply installed. 2. I am much more fearful of the hazards of electricity and water than I am of gas. I already have a CO monitor. haha!

Mike

well in that case, you should be able to tap into that propane source. It should already be regulated at 11" wc and I would go with the bg14 burners. Youll want the low pressure orifices. I bought the replacement orifices with a needle valve built in.

Hey thanks Mike. I guess that was my real question. Would I need to change anything in the burners. The bg14 are what I have in mind. Where can I find the replacement orifices? My idea is to set up a temp controller to shut the gas off to the burners, as needed. And have pilot lights going for reigniting, as needed.

Mike

There's something functionally wrong when sig text uses a larger font than body text. Not to mention the whole big bold thing is way too loud...

Cheers!

As an alternative, day trippr, you could build a bridge and get over my signature. And then either comment on my question, or move on.

day_trippr,

I am having fun. To me, making beer is not just about getting good beer. It's also about the process of learning to make good beer. And, even, teaching people, newer to the hobby than myself, to make good beer. I enjoy the entire process.
That's the entire reason I frequent these forums. So you won't see me bullying others about how they choose to design their profile or signatures. Instead, if I say anything in response to another's question(s), it will be only if I think I have something to offer.
However, you also won't see me lie down and take bullying either.

Mike

So you won't see me bullying others about how they choose to design their profile or signatures. Instead, if I say anything in response to another's question(s), it will be only if I think I have something to offer.
However, you also won't see me lie down and take bullying either.

Good on you, Horseshoot. That's the biggest problem with some forums. People don't have anything constructive to say, so off the mouth goes with something destructive.

Back