60minute (Ultimate) "HOP BURST"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippybasher

Reaction score
So I just got a crazy idea for my next brew. Couldnt find what I was looking for with a search. I loved the Comet Hop Burst Pale Ale I made. (2oz Comet each @ 15min 5min 2min & flameout) Turned out so Hoppy/Fruity (Mango actually).

So the idea I had was to constantly be adding hops in the boil @ 10minute intervals throughout a 60minute boil. As such:

1) Get two hop bags, each containing 1oz of hops. Have 4oz of hops weighed out into 1oz portions and set aside.
2) Add first hop bag with 1oz at the start of the boil, boil in hop bag for 10 minutes, remove hop bag and discard hops.
3) Add second hop bag with 1oz of hops and throw it in the boil as I remove the first hop bag.
4) While the second hop additon is doing its 10 minute boil, re-fill the first hop bag with a new 1oz of hops.
5) After another 10 minutes pass remove the second hop bag and discard hops and add your third hop addition.
6) Repeat steps 3 and 4 throughout the 60 minute boil. Adding hops every 10 minutes and replacing with new hops.

The entire goal is to never boil the hops longer than 10 minutes. Essentially having all "Late additions" but still bring the IBU up to an acceptable level. I guess I could add them all at 10 minutes but that would be 6oz in a bag and may not even fully utilize them. May sound a bit wasteful but I have a couple pounds of year old hops I need to use up.

Thoughts?

I'd be interested to see your results, but I'm not sure it will work the way you expect. After ten minutes in boil, most of the oils and acids will have separated from the hop solids. Even though you're pulling out the bag after only ten minutes, I suspect this will still behave like a 60 minute addition. In other words, the alphas will continue to isomerize, the volatiles will continue to blow off, and the oils will continue to change.

Good luck though! Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

I'd be interested to see your results, but I'm not sure it will work the way you expect. After ten minutes in boil, most of the oils and acids will have separated from the hop solids. Even though you're pulling out the bag after only ten minutes, I suspect this will still behave like a 60 minute addition. In other words, the alphas will continue to isomerize, the volatiles will continue to blow off, and the oils will continue to change.

Good luck though! Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

From my understanding of hops, this is correct. Heated liquids will quickly strip the oils from the hop solids and do their magic for the whole time. But hell, I have no idea what it'll actually do, but I always try to encourage new ideas. Let us know how it turns out!

Go for it...but it won't be late hop additions like the posters have pointed out. Your probably not going to get a supper hoppy brew if your doing small/equal 20, 10 and flameout additions. This would be a nice duel brew experiment for you though, to have a side by side tasting.

If you want all late addition hops, why not just add all hops late in the boil? I often do so, adding hops only in the last 20 minutes, with the bulk near flameout. The results are excellent.

Sounds like your going to be working your ass off over a boiling pot. Not for me.

Dogfish makes a few continually hopped beers (60, 90, 120), and I consider these different than a 'hop burst' beer. From my reading a hop burst is a lot of hops in short amount of time- a burst. I would encourage you to search the term continually hopped beer and read the results.

How to home brew also has in their best of gear magazine a PVC tube that has a small 'door' and a slowly spinning disc that drops pellet hop into a beer... continuously! If your a gear guy, it would be worth looking up/building because I think between loading/dropping/removing and watching the time as you stand over a boiling pot, your going to be working your ass off for little gain.

Like the other guys said, a lot of oils will be boiled off in the first additions. I think you would be better served to add hops to your mash, followed by a first wort hopping, followed by heavy late additions (that's a hop burst) followed by some kind of Randal/Hop Rocket as you rack to primary, followed by a dry hop, followed by serving via Randal/Hop Rocket.

Now that list is absurd, but they focus hop additions that put the hops in beer. In the case of the first two, the hops chemically 'link' to the wort before they can boil off, in the remaining- they are late additions where there is no time for hops to boil off. Any, and I suppose all will give you that big hop your looking for, but dropping a sweet hop like Citra at 60 or 45 is like pouring Hopslam down the drain. It's a damn shame.

Obviously I encourage you do learn,experiment, and do what you will, but I think your hops and time will be better used if go pre-boil or heavy late additions. Continually hopped beers are a treat, but I think they are also an inefficient use of ingredients.

I like where you're going with this OP.

I do agree with the previous posters in regards to the oils etc continuing to do their work even after the hops have been removed. Nonetheless, I am very intrigued. Make sure you post your results.

And one last thought, rather than trying to open hot hop bags, consider purchasing small muslin bags for all your separate additions. His way you toss one in, pull one out, and keep it moving. My LHBS sells them for $0.50 a bag and in this case/experiment. I blink it would be worth it.

So this would be called an early/late addition? I think once you "burst" the hops you need to chill and caprture the "burst". Continued boiling will likely only "burst" the brewery with wonderful aroma, not so much the beer.

I think what you're doing is innovative and I'd like to hear about the results. If they're good and interesting I might try myself.

That was my only concern with the whole idea is that the Oils may continue to do there thing in the boiling wort and "Turn Bitter" instead. I am unsure if boiling the plant matter or boiling the extracted oils make them less fragrant and more bitter. Only one way to find out for sure. Even if the whole idea doesnt turn out the way I had hoped, I will just have an extra bitter IPA, (which is totally fine as well) and not have wasted too much ingredients.

I thought about just doing six bags all weighed from the get go and will probably do it that way, so I am not untying boiling knots. Im a cheap ass, but whats $2.00 over burned fingers? I am not worried about tending my boil kettle. I am usually out there enjoying the smell of each hop addition anyway.

I wish I had another carboy free. I would love to do a side by side. 6 1oz additons spread out vs 6oz @ 10minutes. Maybe I can swing this.... Will be a long brew day but it will be fun to have a blind taste test. Collect 14gal of runnings, split in half, then do seperate boils.

Damn you guys! Now I gotta get that starter stepped up!

Back