First AG attempt tomorrow, water question, please help....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
As the heading states I will be attempting my first AG brew tomorrow. When I was doing Extracts and then PM, I never worried about water. I just purchased bottled spring water, and used that. My question now is, can I still do that with good results? I have tried reading as much as I can about water, and I feel like Im getting myself a bit lost, and want to concentrate more on procedure now. At the same time, I want to still be able to make good beer. Im brewing an APA tomorrow with 80% Pilsner. Should I do anything to the water, or just use it out of the bottle? Thanks.

You can drive yourself batty playing with your water. If you were happy with the flavor profiles of your previous beers, then using that same water is not going to change anything. Same source, same profile. The only thing changing in your beers is what you do in the mash and boil.

Keep on keeping on with that water!

I would worry more about your process now more than anything. Get that down then fuss with water. I am guessing bottled spring water Ph should lend itself to good brewing. If you were working with suspect sourse water like a well or bad city water, you would want to pay more attention since a Ph level that is way out of range can definately impact how well your mshing and efficiency goes. Good luck!

OK guys thank you. I never made a bad beer with bottled spring water, well at least not because of the water. So I will concentrate more on process and procedure, and just use the water as is.

Back