First Wine Batch Degassing/Racking Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am at step three of my first winexpert kit - stabilizing and clearing. I need to degas out of a glass carboy that I need to use for my next batch of beer. I was wondering if it would be effective to rack back into the bucket to make degassing easier - I understand from the instructions I need to get the sediment back into suspension before the other additions are made.

Alternatively - could I rack into a 5g keg and shake to relieve pressure and then add the agents to the keg? We were thinking of serving this wine from a keg at 2psi or so. If I did this, would I need to rack the wine over or would the first pint of the keg have all the sediment in it like you see when kegging beer?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi All,

I am at step three of my first winexpert kit - stabilizing and clearing. I need to degas out of a glass carboy that I need to use for my next batch of beer. I was wondering if it would be effective to rack back into the bucket to make degassing easier - I understand from the instructions I need to get the sediment back into suspension before the other additions are made.

Alternatively - could I rack into a 5g keg and shake to relieve pressure and then add the agents to the keg? We were thinking of serving this wine from a keg at 2psi or so. If I did this, would I need to rack the wine over or would the first pint of the keg have all the sediment in it like you see when kegging beer?

Thanks!

Jason

Sure you could degas in a bucket. That would work fine. I'd degas, let it clear, and then keg it at the "bottling" stage. You'd have some sediment in the keg, but not much.

Back