Anyone brew anything "odd"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heteloto

Reaction score
Cheers everyone!!!

Was curious if anyone on here has brewed some odd combination brews? was it successful? Weird flavor profiles?
I am currently brewing my second brew ever...it is a curried pumpkin ale.
I am a cook by trade so I am excited to try some odd favors/combinations. I only brew in 1 gallon batches in case it comes out bloody awful!

Interested in hearing some ideas, outcomes,stories!

Salute.

I have done a few Gruits some of which turned out alright, but not very beer like. Got a Habanero Stout in the secondary that smells awesome, as well as a spiced Graff style (apple beer) conditioning. Both of those smell awesome, but not sure how they will taste in the end.

Made a few beers with Grape-nuts cereal in the mash that turned out so fantastic I now commonly use it as a specialty 'grain' in many of my home brews.

zabuza is right. mad fermentionist does a lot of cool mostly funky beers. the most out of the ordinary beer i've done other than all kinds of funky or sour beers is a 1/2 gallon experimental batch of swedish fish pale ale

I just did an imperial sweet stout a few weeks ago that I fermented with hefeweizen yeast. The end goal is to have a beer that is reminiscent of banana split. I just added a vanilla bean/vodka tincture and 4 oz of cacao nibs last weekend. I'll be bottling on Friday probably, so we'll know how this going to turn out in a couple months.

nukebrewer said:
I just did an imperial sweet stout a few weeks ago that I fermented with hefeweizen yeast. The end goal is to have a beer that is reminiscent of banana split. I just added a vanilla bean/vodka tincture and 4 oz of cacao nibs last weekend. I'll be bottling on Friday probably, so we'll know how this going to turn out in a couple months.

This sounds likes really cool idea.

Also, I would say for the time involved in brewing, I would want at least a keg. I've done one half batch of a beer I ended up loving and when it was prematurely gone I was really sad

This sounds likes really cool idea.

Also, I would say for the time involved in brewing, I would want at least a keg. I've done one half batch of a beer I ended up loving and when it was prematurely gone I was really sad

Yeah, when I was teaching a friend of mine to brew, we brewed a 3 gallon batch of RIS. It went pretty fast and now I only have 1 bottle left that I am trying to age until it's 1 year brewed on date. It's very tempting to crack it, though, so I feel you.

I just did a heather tip ale that came out amazing. Smelled and tasted very floral and beautiful. I'm also planning a lime and basil hefeweizen for next spring. The one I'm super excited to try and brew was a green olive ale.

Oaked coconut rum porter, peanut butter and jelly ale, chocolate mint stout, sweet potato porter, a beer with zest from 18 pieces of fruit... lots of stuff.

I did a graham cracker ale. It didn't taste good or bad just tasted like an ok beer. The head on it bubbled like blowing bubbles in milk. And it sounded like a glass of rice crispier in milk snap crackle and popped away. Think I still have 1 or 2 in the back of my brew closet. Will have to see how it aged. 8-9months old by now.

is a triple decoction 80%6-row/20% corn flakes, all cluster hops "odd"?

I got some odd looks opening the cereal boxes.

Nice. A lot of these sound pretty cool.
I'm pretty strict with writing y recipes down so if I need to go from a1 gallon to a 5 itll be an easy task.

Back