Really high hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got done breing a batch of falconers from brewers best and got an OG of 1.170

WAY high.

This is an extract kit, right? Looks like it's supposed to be 1.075-1.079. With extract there is no way you are that off if you had the correct volume of water. This must either be a measurement error, mixing problem. etc.
When/how did you take your reading, and did you measure your volumes?

This is an extract kit, right? Looks like it's supposed to be 1.075-1.079. With extract there is no way you are that off if you had the correct volume of water. This must either be a measurement error, mixing problem. etc.

im an idiot. First brew, and I didnt really know how to read the hydrometer.

its at 1.070. Sorry.

thanks for the quick reply.

when will I see the airlock bubble? Its been in the carboy for a good 20 min

i

when will I see the airlock bubble? Its been in the carboy for a good 20 min

You may never see the airlock bubble, many never bubble. It's not a magic ferementation gauge, it's a vent to release excess co2 if it needs it. Rate of bubbling, lack of bubbling, starting and stopping bubbling, have little in any correlation with what is going on inside of the fermenter.

If it bubbles, it's fun to watch, but it doesn't really mean anything, if it doesn't bubble that doesn't mean anything's wrong either.

You may never see the airlock bubble, many never bubble. It's not a magic ferementation gauge, it's a vent to release excess co2 if it needs it. Rate of bubbling, lack of bubbling, starting and stopping bubbling, have little in any correlation with what is going on inside of the fermenter.

good deal. now the waiting game.

Back