Hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anachronist

Reaction score
I brewed up some of the Mirror Pond mini-mash clone kit from Austin Homebrew, but dry hopped with an ounce of Cascade in an attempt to bump up the citrusy hop flavor to get close to the taste of the Fresh hop version. Granted, my volume into secondary was low, about 4-4.5 gallons so that is a contributing factor, but the beer came out intensely bitter. Still very good, but really closer to a mild IPA than a pale ale, and really no significant citrus.

I plan to try again because this was such a quick and delicious beer (primary lasted only 4 days! At proper temps even!). However I'm wondering what other hop varieties/amounts would you all suggest? Chinook maybe?

I'm really just going for a mild bump, since the fresh hop version is pretty balanced just like the regular.

Dry hopping boosts aroma, contributes virtually zero to bittering, and not much more than that to flavor.

It would be helpful if you posted the hop schedule you actually used, then folks could tell you where to make your adjustments, but for a start, flavor hops should be added with around 15 minutes left in the boil.

As for Chinook, that's a pretty intense hop to use for "mild bumps"...

Cheers!

More flavoring hops during the boil. Add closer to the end of the boil as to not add bitterness. Dry hopping will only add aroma and not add much to the flavor. Hope this helps.

Back