Batch Sparge, Pilsner malt, and Single Infusion Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHeadBrew

Reaction score
First off, am I correct in believing Pilsner and Lager malts are the same thing?

If so, can I do a single infusion batch sparge using 100% of either of those grains?

I believe lager malt is slightly higher in SRM due to a higher kilning temperature. Otherwise they are more or less the same and could be substituted for one another.

You can do a single infusion batch sparge with either yes.

Sounds like you might be new to AG, so the answer is yes it is no problem to do a single unfusion, batched sparged mash with pilser/lager malt or any base malt. I just did it last week.

Digging a little deeper, you will need to watch your pH when doing a mash like this because the darker kilned malts tend to pull the mash pH down. Since you will not have those, your mash might (depending on your water chemistry) have a pH that is higher than optimal.

But it will still work....:mug:

Yes and no. In the US, what maltsers call Lager malt can be six row, or two row.

Back