Top for brutus build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I am almost finished with my build and have to decide what to top the stand off with. I thought diamond plate, however that is pretty expensive. It is a wooden stand. I also thought of buying copper and glueing it to a piece of wood. Also pretty expensive. So I need some other economical ideas. BTW, stand is black.

Thanks!

I have the stand which is built open with 2x4s. The top is only framed. Still need to put something there for the keggles to sit on.

I have the stand which is built open with 2x4s. The top is only framed. Still need to put something there for the keggles to sit on.

I took inspiration from ScubaSteve's wood stand build and used steel angle:

(still a work in progress...)

img0411qg.jpg

cheap, effective, and I think it looks pretty cool.

I don't want to be negative but a wooden Brutus makes the hair on my neck stand straight up. Your gonna need a fire extinguisher in my opinion. The flames from your burner will most likely lick your wood frame and poof, your calling 911. Really though, I would just put a solid surface top then have your burners mounted in the traditional mounts that you see in a bayou burner/ hurricane advertisement. The mounts they come with. Then just tie those mounts to your solid surface. Good luck. Brutus's get hot!
Snake10
Metal Brutus Owner/Builder

I don't want to be negative but a wooden Brutus makes the hair on my neck stand straight up. Your gonna need a fire extinguisher in my opinion. The flames from your burner will most likely lick your wood frame and poof, your calling 911. Really though, I would just put a solid surface top then have your burners mounted in the traditional mounts that you see in a bayou burner/ hurricane advertisement. The mounts they come with. Then just tie those mounts to your solid surface. Good luck. Brutus's get hot!
Snake10
Metal Brutus Owner/Builder

DANGER!!!!
Wood + Brutus = Fire:mad:

There have been multiple people already build successful wooden brutus's (bruti?) . He is not asking for advice weather it will catch fire.

OP - You will, however, want to use something against the inside of the boards for protection . Cement board seems to be the norm for fire proofing the wooden rigs.

You may also be doing all electric for all we know if you're looking for a solid top.

IP,

The cement board is a good idea. Hardy board siding to trim out the interior? Too much work in my opinion. Whatever the case his wood sculpture is pretty. Also, Looking at the pic it isn't electric. I'm assuming that the pots are to be placed on the angle irons. But overall, I would remove the burners, put a solid surface top( plywood then cement board then tile), then remount the burners sitting them on top. I would love to see the solution because I just can't picture a wood/gas Brutus in my simple brain. Burner mounts on top of a solid surface top could look good and work just fine.

Bart

Guess I should mention this is electric. Sorry.

Thinking of doing a poured concrete counter on it. It is framed like DeepSix's 2.0 then painted black. Thinking of doing a natural concrete color. Or some other color since it can be dyed. Thoughts? It will be 18" x 48" x 2" thick

Also think I will some how inset my logo into it. Have to have one drawn up. Have a design in mind, just not an artist....At all.

Sorry Coalcracker,

I saw those burners and blew a gasket. Is that Scuba Steves frame and not yours?

Electric will be nice. I used to finish concrete in the summers. One thing is the amount you need won't cost too much. The one thing is it will be really heavy so, maybe another set of casters under the middle. You can use that garage epoxy floor paint for color. Also, they make powder dyes to spread on top and work in when troweling.

Personally I would go to a home surplus and get a piece of cool granite that was cut wrong for cheap. You could make it look like the POL's. Good luck.

Bart

Guess I should mention this is electric. Sorry.

Thinking of doing a poured concrete counter on it. It is framed like DeepSix's 2.0 then painted black. Thinking of doing a natural concrete color. Or some other color since it can be dyed. Thoughts? It will be 18" x 48" x 2" thick

How about a picture of your current frame, that might help with a few ideas

hey coalcracker, I was up your way the other day, Lake wynonah to be specific. we could have met up and drank some homebrews and pondered the idea.

Back