Last Order with Midwest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I think I have just placed my last order with Midwest Supplies.
I dont understand why when you place an order, it takes them 3 days to process and ship it out. If they are so busy that they cant get to orders in a timely manner, why dont they hire more people?
I understand that I might be a little impatient, but with everything else I order online, it usually ships the next day.
On top of this, they havent added any new Recipe kits forever.
From now on, I will stick to Austion Homebrew Supply!

Do you pay for rush shipping what are their terms of service? If you pay for overnight thats one thing, but three days is not bad.

I stopped into Midwest on Friday evening and if you haven't been there before, it's a large warehouse and half of it is the store and the other half is the shipping dept. The entire shipping department had boxes packed with orders stacked 10-15 feet high! I asked one of the employees about it and he said it's been like that the entire month of December.

They're also trying to move to a new location. They were supposed to move on 12/1, but because of the huge number of orders, they had to postpone it until early next year.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Midwest, but it is the holiday season and if you aren't paying for expedited shipping, you should expect to wait a few days.

I love midwest and I am going to place an order with them today...but I just noticed they don't carry Windsor yeast lol wtf?

I've never had a problem with Midwest. I typically put an order in on Monday and by Friday afternoon I've got the order on my doorstep.

It took 3 days from order to delivery to get my order last week. Standard shipping. Granted I am only in Indiana, but 3 days is pretty awesome especially this time of year.

I've had some great customer service from Midwest. They became my online store of choice when they saved a brew day by getting me yeast the next day when my LHBS happened to be out completely!

I don't know about your experience prior to this one, but the time I ordered from Midwest, they had it shipped by the end of the day.

It's christmas time, it's a popular website for home brewers, it's gonna be busy and it might take an extra day or two. Relax! I ordered stuff that's in stock from Amazon and it took them a couple days to ship it. 2-3 days is not an unreasonable amount of time considering the season and the overall size of the store (which can make it unreasonable to hire extra employees).

I stopped into Midwest on Friday evening and if you haven't been there before, it's a large warehouse and half of it is the store and the other half is the shipping dept. The entire shipping department had boxes packed with orders stacked 10-15 feet high! I asked one of the employees about it and he said it's been like that the entire month of December.

They're also trying to move to a new location. They were supposed to move on 12/1, but because of the huge number of orders, they had to postpone it until early next year.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Midwest, but it is the holiday season and if you aren't paying for expedited shipping, you should expect to wait a few days.

Ive been there in mid-summer and shipping was busy working side by side filling orders into boxes, etc. There's only so many people you can get in a geographic space.

Ordering anything during the holiday season is nuts. I don't think a 3 day wait is all that bad, but I'm impatient too :)

Last time that i ordered from them, i was worried that i wasn't going to get my order before the weekend because i hadn't heard from them. Turns out all was fine. I had ordered on Monday, and it was delivered by Fri.

I decided that they were just busy. Even though it took awhile for confirmation, the order had still shipped on schedule.

I've never had a problem with them. I've always been very pleased and will continue to do business and recommend them to others.

Thanks for the info.
Its just a little frustrating because I have been ordering alot of things online these past few weeks and they all have shipped within a day or two.
Including a order from AHS. As long as I get it before Xmas I will be happy.
Now if they would just get some new recipe kits, all would be great!

So besides Midwest not getting your order shipped immediately, is there any reason not to shop there?

I've noticed that midwest shipping tends to be a little slower than BMW, but they do have a good selection of recipe kits, and carry some items that I haven't found at BMW.

I just did an order through midwest, and it did not come as quickly as I would have liked, but I chalked it up to the Christmas season, and everyone being very busy.

There was a mixup with my order, and they shipped me a recipe kit for a bavarian wheat extract brew. That was in addition to my regular order.

I sent them an email to let them know that I had gotten this, and assumed they would be chalking this up as a loss. I received an email from them just before that said I could keep the kit for $10 or they would email me a shipping label to return the kit. I found this odd.

From the site admin:

If you sign up to HomeBrewTalk just to complain about a Vendor your thread will be deleted. We don't know who you are or the legitimacy of your content.

Threads complaining about retailers from established members will be allowed if there is fraud going on from the retailer.

I do not want HomeBrewTalk to be a launching pad for every little problem you have with a home brew retailer over a transaction.

:mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/threads-about-hbs-home-brew-retailers-143596/

They are my main OHBS but I use Austin and BMW too. I find their shipping to be on the quick side. Tough to beat their prices (even accounting for the low shipping rates of Austin/BMW).

I do respect the OP speaking with his wallet though. Nothing wrong with that imo. We all have to go by our own personal experiences.

I don't have issues with MW's shipping, and think their products and service are excellent. Typically 2-3 days. Midwest remains my go-to online store

Not sure what the point of your warning is.
I did not sign up for HBT to just complain about vendors. I have a few hundred posts where I have provided advice and advice has been given back to me on numerous subjects.

Well I called Midwest to check on my order and the not so friendly person that answered the phone said they are 3-5 days behind in processing orders.
I told him no problem, and said just as long as I get it in time for Christmas. His response:
"You will be lucky if you do".
Not the type of response I was looking for.
This will be my last post on this subject. Sorry if I offended anyone!

You didn't read carefully enough:

If you sign up to HomeBrewTalk just to complain about a Vendor your thread will be deleted. We don't know who you are or the legitimacy of your content.

Threads complaining about retailers from established members will be allowed if there is fraud going on from the retailer.

I do not want HomeBrewTalk to be a launching pad for every little problem you have with a home brew retailer over a transaction.

:mug:

I like that the person was honest but if he was unfriendly that's not good. I can understand you wanting to switch (I'm the same way...to the tenth power!).

Regarding the new recipe kits: I have actually been turned off by certain OHBS because it seemed they were so 'recipe kit oriented'. For me, some of the fun is coming up with my own recipes. I don't think I've used someone else's recipe since my first couple of brews. That's prob a reason why I was drawn to Midwest. They had the best prices on malt and carried the specific malts/brands that I like (some vendors don't even tell you what the brand is) and weren't putting too much focus on the next 'new recipe kit'.

Horses for courses as they say.:mug:

I've bought almost exclusively from Midwest. They ususually ship my stuff out the day after I order. As others have said - it's the holiday season. You should expect a little delay.

I am going to be stopping in the store between Xmas and New Years and emailed them to see if they have move yet. The responce was not until Feb 1, so the lack of some things like recipe kits amy be due to them not wanting to move more stuff than they have to. I have not dealt with the guys, but they have always been very fast at answering questions that I have emailed them, and I hope that the visit I make will turn out just as good.

Brewmasters warehouse always ships same day I order (usually order before noon-2) and it's always here in 2-3 days. I love BMW.

Can't agree more...they have become my #1 because of this. AHS is also a great vendor and was using them exclusively, but it was taking too long for ingredients to get to me from Texas!

Can't agree more...they have become my #1 because of this. AHS is also a great vendor and was using them exclusively, but it was taking too long for ingredients to get to me from Texas!

Same here. I ordered my next batch Tuesday because I forgot 8 ounces of light DME to prime for the beer i was in the middle of brewing. I expected the package to be at my house a day or two before Christmas but instead it arrived Thursday. Two days to order something and then get the package makes me really happy. Brewmaster's Warehouse rules. :rockin:

Midwest has been great for me and so has northernbrewer. From an all grain perspective I much prefer northern brewer because you can order AG kits with no yeast or priming sugar on the cheap. $17 for a 1.050 nut brown...of course my super awesome efficiency jacked it up a bit..but a great deal. I still think there $13 AG cream ale is such a great deal. Beer that blows BMC away at $6.50 a case....

So, I rate northernbrewer over midwest...but you should still support your LHBS.....they allow you to brew whenever you want. I am so pleased that one finally opened in my town...

I

Why would they plan on moving their shipping department in December when they KNOW they are going to have a ton of orders. This makes no sense to me.

Latest posts

Back