Question concerning Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky

Reaction score
I have brewed and bottled two batches of beer now ( I just bottled the second) The first was an amber ale and was pretty good, had a fair amount of yeast on the bottom of the bottles. (and I called it neck beer-d) (oh I make myself laugh sometimes) The second one is a very hoppy pale ale (we put a bit of extra hops in it) It is very bitter and hoppy, I like it. (Called Hopocalypse now) I digress . . . anyway my question is: would it be bad to filter the yeast out of the brew after the fermentation and before the bottling perhaps make the transfer to the carboi into the bucket (as is done before bottling anyway) add the corn sugar and then maybe pour it into another bucket and filter it through a cheese cloth or something, or would that mess up the carbonation process?

You are best to leave that beer in the fermenter a little longer, and perhaps chill it close to freezing if possible. This will get most of the trub and yeast to settle out so that you have relatively clean beer going into the bottling bucket.

Unfortunately, you can't use a real filter because it would remove the yeast. If you remove all the yeast, there will be nothing to ferment out the priming sugar and carbonate your bottles.

Don't filter. Just leave the beer in the primary at least 2 to 3 weeks. Then rack to a carboy for three and it will be real clean. Let it carb as usual and you'll find that there is very little sediment.

When you rack, don't try to get every drop. Leave some behind, I stop as soon as it starts to get murky in the hose.

Pouring your beer into a bucket through a cheesecloth wouldn't mess up the carbonation but it would ruin your beer by oxidizing it.

If you bottle condition you are going to have some sediment in your bottle because of the mini fermentation of yeast to carbonate. If you leave your beer in the primary long enough it won't be any more sediment than in a commercially bottle conditioned beer.

Welcome to HBT!

If you were able to filter the yeast out of the beer before bottling, they would not carbonate naturally. Anyway it's actually not very easy to filter yeast out with anything designed for the home brewer, and it wouldn't be cheap.

Do you secondary? I started doing using a secondary after 10 days in the primary fermenter, then bottling 2 weeks after that. Mainly I started doing it to free up the primary for another batch, but I notice that my bottled beer has much less sediment now than it used to, that might be something for you to try.

This may help:
I let it go through primary fermentation in a bucket with an airlock for about 5-6 days, then I move it to a carboy, also with an airlock for about 2 weeks, then I boil some corn sugar . . . about 3/4 cup and add it. Then bottle it shortly after adding the suger, we then let it sit for 2 weeks before the big happy day arrives when we can drink it.

PS. if it would help I can send a picture of a bottled brew so you can have a visual of what I am asking about.

DON'T POUR your beer! Always siphon gently to minimize air contact and prevent the sediment from getting mixed up.

You shouldn't have to filter anything if you leave the beer in the fermenter long enough. Some yeast strains will stay in suspension in large enough numbers to cloud the beer longer than others. English Ale yeast drops out more readily than most others, but California Ale, for example, can be convinced to drop clear by dropping the temperature below about 50 for a couple days.

If you're straining out hop bits from dry-hopping, it's as easy as wrapping a piece of nylon grain bag around the tip of your racking cane and securing with a zip tie, but make sure to keep everything that touches the beer clean and sanitized.

oops my mistake, I did not mean pour. I do syphon it when I move it from one container to another.

Back