Bad News

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talcottsk

Reaction score
I was trying to get my buddy infected with the hombrew bug, so I walked him through everything, go him a set (purchased here in S Korea) and we squeezed the crap out of 11 giant Asian Pears for quite some time...
Turns out the lid was not an airtight screw cap--i noticed that 24 after campden the juice was pretty dark (asian pears squueze out very light colored juice) and 24 after pitching, there were no bubbles in airlock!!!

I hope this isn't rotten, I have tried to seal the lid with some tape(several layers put on in a frenzy) and put in my frigde--is there a way to check if it's rotten or been infected, or not?

Fruit juice always darkens with exposure to oxygen - that's why commercial fruit juices have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) added to slow the process. It'll lighten again under fermentation and yeast needs Oxygen so initially no problem.
Primaries push out alot of CO2 - this prevents nasties getting in. It could either be fermenting and 'finding the path of least resistance' i.e. the gap and not airlock or the yeast might not have fully taken off - However you often see foam on top to support fermention. Repair properly/use another container and if you still have no airlock action after another day pitch more yeast. Don't worry just yet!

well, i had a bubble free ferment, gas escaped before reaching airlock, and when I siphoned it yesterday, it smells like eggs--which I'm guessing is a "game over"

any thoughts on that, is it fixable (probably not)

Might as well bottle it and let it set. A lot of funky flavors will disappear with time. Not sure about the egg smell, though.

Doesn't sound good i admit - 'Egg' smells are sometimes created during the initial fermentation by some yeasts. I've always used ale and wine yeasts with cider and have never experienced them produce sulphur tones but i know other people have. When fermentation is over the smell should have gone though. Test it again today by smell/taste and if it's not overpowering then it might just be a little of the sulphur compounds lingering - they should hopefully clear.

Every batch of cider I have made so far (both of them :p ) smell like a abondoned chicken abortion clinic . . . so I wouldnt worry about the rotten egg smell. It honestly smelt so bad the dog, who I usally have a hard time keeping out of my fermenting area) wouldnt get near it even with a pincher collar and leash on dragging him into the room. I would open the door and the smell would make me cringe and the wife scream from across the house. IT STANK!!!!! My 4y/o started calling it the fart room.

Bottle it then let it age for about 3-4 months and give it a taste. I tried my first batch WAY to early and was about ready to dump it but didnt and now I'm glad I didnt because it's great . . . other then the fact it's overcarbonated for my taste (I like flat cider).

My last cider had a stron sulphorous smell when it came out of the primary. Much of that smell was lost when I transferred to the secondary. The rest dissipated over time. I think your cider may still be all right. :fro:

Back