did I do this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed my 2nd batch, an IPA. After I chilled and aerated it,I did the swirl/cyclone thing to get as much debris into the center as possible.
I let it set for 15 minutes while doing some clean-up, then started siphoning from my pot into my glass primary. When my pot was nearly empty, I could see all kinds of solids and slug from my boil. I lifted the siphon out so as to not get any in my primary. I measured it(10 cups worth) and dumped it down the sink.
Did I do right by that? Or did I want those hop remnants to be in the primary to help flavor the beer? If I screwed up, I could always pitch some hop pellets into the primary.
Thanks guys.

It doesn't matter either way- the hops are "used up" so to speak and don't contribute anything to fermentation. Some people like to strain their wort so it's easier to siphon later on, while others just dump the whole thing into the fermenter as all that "stuff" will settle out with the trub in the end.

It won't make any difference in the final beer, except that you've got 10 cups less of beer!

Not really a screw up. I prefer to pour chilled wort & top off water through my fine mesh strainer in a circular motion to aerate it & get more of the gunk out. But all the liquid. I get only 3/8-1/2" of compacted trub & yeast at the bottom of primary by bottling time.

Some people leave it behind, some people dump everything into the fermenter. Either way, it won't really matter. I try to leave most of the trub behind but I never get it all

Also, some anecdotal research has shown when comparing no-trub vs some-trub in the fermenter, the latter tends to clear up faster.

I think it's average to get some trub in the bottom. Looks like that fine floury silty stuff that even gets through the fine mesh strainer to me. But it's also dissolved protein levels that finally matter to how clear the beer is come fridge time.

Hey, thanks guys. I still have some "stuff" floating around in the primary. About 3 inches below the top of the wort, it looks like about a 2 1/2 inch thick layer of pellet particles. So I know I didn't get it all.
As long as it doesn't effect the flavor, that's fine. I was hoping for a clear beer anyway.
As far as trub lose, the primary is sitting at 5.75 gallons now...even after the loss. I know I will lose more after racking and then bottling. It "should be really close to 5 gallons when I bottle. I hope.

I was taught to just dump it all in and let it settle out. Does that very well for me so far and leaves a good inch of "trub" on the bottom of my bucket.

Back