IPA Dry-hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daydrew

Reaction score
I just brewed a 5gal batch of an IPA using 4oz columbus for bittering, then some 1oz cascade at 10 min out.

This is my first time dry hopping and I am going to use amarillo and columbus. the guy at my LHBS told me 2 oz makes for a potent effect in a 5gal batch and I have read the same.

My Question is this:

In order to get a good balance should i do a ratio of 1:1 of use more amarillo since I used columbus in the boil?

Thanks guys!

Cheers!

I would recommend 50/50 as well. You really aren't going to get any flavor out of that 60-minute Colombus, just bitterness.

Thanks! Thats what I was leaning towards...I'll let you guys know how this one turns out.

Columbus isnt all its cracked up to be as a dry hop. I used 2 ounces in a 90 ibu ipa, all can taste is the columbus dry hop and its not the most pleasant thing in the world. It sorta tastes like your eating a hop and not in the way you might think. I'd go all Amarillo... considering you put 4 ounces for bittering, that thing is gonna be all bitter and little aroma from what you said. I'd use 2-3 ounces for 10 days.

I am patiently waiting for the 1st before i dry-hop, so I have time to decide. This is my first time doing this so I dont know what will overpower the other

I am bottle conditioning an imperial IPA I bittered with Columbus and flavored with Chinook. My original plan was to dry hop with Columbus, but once I stuck my nose in the bag I concluded they would not be a very appealing aroma hop. I used Willamette instead but will probably use something with a bit stronger aroma next time. It won't be Columbus.

About to dry hop my IIPA with an ounce each of Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Zythos and Columbus and am wondering which is the best of three options:

(1) add them all together for 14 days

(2) do them all together but half of each for 7 days, then remove the hops and do the other half for 7 more days (to avoid the "vegetal" taste that some report from 14 day dry hopping)

(3) do 2-3 of the varieties for 7 days, then remove them and do the other 2-3 varieties for the remaining 7 days

Any advice?

I got my information wrong about the bittering hops....I made this with my cousin and he says he put 1.5 ounces columbus and 2 ounces cascade for the 60 minute boil. So we are gonna have more of an IndiaPaleAle instead of the Imperial.

OG is 1.068

He also added .5oz UK Fuggle I had in the fridge for the last 10 minutes along with the 1 oz cascade....Im hoping this doesnt throw things off, but i'll probably enjoy it regardles.

I think my mind is set 1oz Columbus and 1oz Amarillo.

Every new brew is an adventure i guess

In my IPA,iused 1.5oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& cascade in equaly timed additions over the last 25 minutes. The remaining .5oz of each in a 1 week dry hop. Matching the boil hops to the dry hops is amazingly good & balanced. The columbus just added to the spicy/herby/citrus thing in mine. Not unpleasant at all. So it's all in how & what you combine the Columbus with,ime.And bittering with 4oz is just crazy. I'd never use that much bittering. Of course,English IPA's have mostly bittering to preserve them over a long voyage. It's the US versions that have all that hop flavor. Two different animals,so it depends on which one you intend to make.

Put 1 oz columbus and 1oz amarillo and the smell blends very well together. Its been in there about 5 days, and I plan to bottle on the 8th or 9th.

FG is 1.011

I have no idea how this is going to taste...I tried some when I transferred it to the secondary and it was bitter, but not overwhelming. (like a said I got the hops i used mixed up in the original post). I'll let you know how it comes out

Maybe those with more dry hop experience would know but, I racked to bottles and cracked one, and it smells very citrusy.

I am guessing the amarillo overpowered the columbus?

I think it smells wonderful, but just not what i expected from it

It turned out pretty decent for my first run. Its smooth and has great hop character and bitterness.

Cheers

What you get from hops depends on the variety, the amount, and the times you add them:

Amarillo is more aromatic than Columbus just as Citra is more aromatic than Amarillo when used late. Therefore, if you want balanced dryhop character then less Amarillo will be needed than Columbus. If you added them in equal amounts, Amarillo will outshadow Columbus.

Columbus is generally better suited for early bittering than either of those hops. But it also works well when used late.

Maybe the best resource I have seen related to what you are looking for is the BYO Hop Lovers Guide (or whatever it was called). You should be able to order it from them.

Total oil content has a lot to do with delivering that potent American IPA aroma. I've noticed this is especially true for hops that have high levels of myrcene, i.e. Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Galena, US Northern Brewer, Horizon... all of which are more than perfect candidates for late IPA additions. Despite having high total oil levels, these hops tend to have low levels of Caryophyllene, Humulene, Farnesene, Selinene - The opposite is true for Noble, European hops which have low total oils, low myrcene, and moderate to high levels of everything else.

http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hop_info&pageID=7
http://www.hopunion.com/17_HopVarietyHandbook.cfm?p3=open
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/myrcene/

Now I have always brewed my IPAs with those big, bold American hops that I previously referenced. But I tested the author's theory in the last weblink by adding whirlpool hops during mid-flameout, when the wort was around 160 F. Along with my standard dryhop, the final results certainly impressed me. I felt that I had to use less whirlpool/dryhops than normal and achieved better results.

Total oil content has a lot to do with delivering that potent American IPA aroma. I've noticed this is especially true for hops that have high levels of myrcene, i.e. Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Galena, US Northern Brewer, Horizon... all of which are more than perfect candidates for late IPA additions. Despite having high total oil levels, these hops tend to have low levels of Caryophyllene, Humulene, Farnesene, Selinene - The opposite is true for Noble, European hops which have low total oils, low myrcene, and moderate to high levels of everything else.

http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hop_info&pageID=7
http://www.hopunion.com/17_HopVarietyHandbook.cfm?p3=open
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/myrcene/

Now I have always brewed my IPAs with those big, bold American hops that I previously referenced. But I tested the author's theory in the last weblink by adding whirlpool hops during mid-flameout, when the wort was around 160 F. Along with my standard dryhop, the final results certainly impressed me. I felt that I had to use less whirlpool/dryhops than normal and achieved better results.

Nice! I like to stumble on someone who does their homework.:mug:

I made a SMaSH beer with Maris Otter and Columbus. I dry hopped with only 1oz and that beer was amazing. I really love the columbus hop. If the beer was maltier, I would use 2oz. i want to go home right now and drink one!

I was a bi worried after I dumped the 2oz in the cardboy for the dry hop. The smell became so strong, I really liked it, but at one point i feared the beer would be to potent or grassy tasting.

After bottling I found that I was wrong, and 2oz turned out fantastic.

Back