$50, 50L direct-fired MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this up here as I just finished it.
I picked up a 50L aluminum Imusa tamale steamer at wallyworld for $40. Thermometer is a $6 Farberware thermo from homegoods, plus fittings for $4. I know it's cheap, but it reads the same as my LHBS thermo, and I can always upgrade it. I used the ball valve and fittings from my old igloo cooler HLT (which is being converted to a bottling bucket)

Total cost $50

SAM_0190.JPG

SAM_0191.JPG

Now you are going to need a dip tube. I used one of these from Home Depot and a compression fitting.

24200-angle-stub-out.jpg

Now all you need is a false bottom to match and you will be off to the races, if you plan to direct fire it, that is.

Never mind. I see you are planning to use it as an HLT, not a MT.

how did you rig your thermometer?

I slid a small piece of 1/4" OD tubing over the stem and clamped down on it with a 1/4" compression fitting. Inside the pot I used a 1/4" barb fitting to add a little reinforcement to the stem. Stainless washer on the inside, galvanized on the out. Homemade silicone gaskets inside and out.

Back