Removing posts on ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
Finally got a kegging setup! Woohoo. I have a question, though. I'm trying to break down the kegs for a good cleaning and am having trouble getting the posts off. A crescent wrench doesn't fit well in the gap in the top, and I don't have a socket deep enough to fit over the post. I can get the wrench around the standard hex nut but it doesn't work as well on the star nut. Neither wants to budge. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!
Chad

I had 12-point closed-end wrenches already in my tool chest, they work well. The problem I usually have is the damn things are on so tight......

I'm with Bird's stance, if I ever get around to buying them. Dedicated deep-socket set.

Craftsmen:

Great thing about these is that if the post are really stuck...you can whack this wrench with a three pound sledge to knock it loose.
These also work on normal fittings.

post2.jpg

post3.jpg

I read on another forum about a guy who clamped the lock in a bench vice and turned the whole keg.
Ben

I hope he clamped his wrench, and not the corny post itself! Those need to be round and unscratched, if possible! If you put a bunch of gouges in your corny post, you could experience leaking, warping, chewing up the inside of your QD's... just generally bad news!

I had 12-point closed-end wrenches already in my tool chest, they work well. The problem I usually have is the damn things are on so tight......

I've had a few posts that absolutely wouldn't budge by hand. Apparently that cola syrup turns to crazy glue when it's on there long enough! Solution? I zipped em' off with a deep socket and my air-impact wrench! Overkill, perhaps. Effective, definitely!

The reason that I'm an idiot, though, was that I bought a set of six-sided sockets, then the next batch of kegs I got from NB mostly needed the twelve-point sockets, so I ended up with two sets. BUY THE TWELVE-POINT SET!

IIRC, on sale the set of ten or twelve sockets was only like $20 or so. Craftsman - but not their best!

Solution? I zipped em' off with a deep socket and my air-impact wrench! Overkill, perhaps. Effective, definitely!

I just bought a couple new ones to supplement my pipeline.... One was a forsaken Root Beer keg. *shudder*

I ain't got sockets nor impact wrenches, just hand tools. So after two hours of lying on the kitchen floor in a lesbian-esque entwinement of arms, legs, wrenches, and keg, it finally broke loose. Thank jeebus. After all if my 260lbs of bulk isn't busting it loose, nothing short of air tools will.

Next time try a steaming hot towel on the post to soften the syrup a bit.
So after two hours of lying on the kitchen floor in a lesbian-esque entwinement of arms, legs, wrenches, and keg, it finally broke loose.
Are you suggesting that this was not steaming hot enough?

Chad

:rofl: This had me loling heavily.

I was going to second the gear-wrench set. I LOVE mine, although I have the gear-wrench brand which have finer teeth for smaller areas. Lifetime warrant still!

When it finally broke loose, did you lie on your back, stare at the ceiling and smoke a cigarette? :D

I wanted to, but I just quit smoking last month. Kicking the habit has been far too hard.

But I let loose a few moans of gratification.

If you already have a 1/2 inch wrachet, just go to a hardware store or home center and buy a 7/8" 12 point deep socket.

I got one at Ace for 6 or 7 bucks.

An early morning trip to the hardware store for a 7/8" combination wrench did the trick. It took a couple of whacks with a hammer to get the wrench moving, but they came off. Everything was disassembled and cleaned. I installed new O-rings all the way 'round. Of course I promptly forgot which post came off which side. Does it matter?

Everything is holding pressure, and I kegged my Challenger lager, which has been in secondary for about 6 weeks now, and a cider/apflewein thing that's been in primary for just about as long. I, of course, didn't think to remove the quick disconnect on the apflewein keg, so as soon as I applied the gas I got a nice fountain across the kitchen. Doh! I assume I'm not the first.

Chad

An early morning trip to the hardware store for a 7/8" combination wrench did the trick. It took a couple of whacks with a hammer to get the wrench moving, but they came off. Everything was disassembled and cleaned. I installed new O-rings all the way 'round. Of course I promptly forgot which post came off which side. Does it matter?

Everything is holding pressure, and I kegged my Challenger lager, which has been in secondary for about 6 weeks now, and a cider/apflewein thing that's been in primary four just about as long. I, of course, didn't think to remove the quick disconnect on the apflewein keg, so as soon as I applied the gas I got a nice fountain across the kitchen. Doh! I assume I'm not the first.

Chad

yes the ridge size is different on in and out. the easy way to figure it out in and out is to try and plug the nipple into each connect(turn your gas off first). also many of the posts use different thread pitch(if they both go on by hand your ok as long as they match,in=in, out=out)

Definitely not the first. ;)

The first 8 or 9 times I tapped my keg, I had a habit of doing so with the picnic faucet still open, from drip-drying after sanitizing. I've since corrected that bad habit.

@Beerthirty, that's usually true, but I've found at least a couple in my stash that have identically sized posts, and QDs work on opposite posts just fine. YMMV.

ive got me a keg that is pissing me off. I have been wacking at it for over an hour with a hammer and a 12 point open wrentch. Ive tried heating the keg, WD-40 and soap. I dont know what to do next. Both are stuck cause some jerk whad overtightend the hell out of them. Any suggestions to try next? Im in the processes of boiling some more water now

ive got me a keg that is pissing me off. I have been wacking at it for over an hour with a hammer and a 12 point open wrentch. Ive tried heating the keg, WD-40 and soap. I dont know what to do next. Both are stuck cause some jerk whad overtightend the hell out of them. Any suggestions to try next? Im in the processes of boiling some more water now

Heat it, use an impact wrench if you have one, or a pipe over the end of the wrench to increase your leverage

where ya at in ohio? bring that sucker over to my shop

If you are within a decent drive Ill bring a 6 pack!

I'm east of cleveland, probably about 3.5 hr drive away. honestly, if you don't have access to a compressor just take it up to any garage/mechanic they'll zip it off with an impact wrench for probably $10 or less

got them off! all it took was a 7/8th deep socket wrench, some near boiling water, pipe, a potential hernia and 2 beers. whoever put them on last was an A-hole there is no need to have had them that tight. thanks everyone for the input appreciate it

got them off! all it took was a 7/8th deep socket wrench, some near boiling water, pipe, a potential hernia and 2 beers. whoever put them on last was an A-hole there is no need to have had them that tight. thanks everyone for the input appreciate it

right on brother :mug:

Back