First brew tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
Starting on my way with my first brew tomorrow. I've been reading to much and just need to get on with it. Wish me luck.

Good luck! And welcome. If you pay attention, read up on tips and procedures you will make very good beer. I started about a year and a half ago and some of my beers have been as good as any that I have ever had. I have liked all of the brews so far, some more than others though.

Writing a to do list beforehand might help you. If not, just make sure you have everything you need. I think the one thing I wish someone had told me to do on my first batch was have plenty of towels for cleaning up on hand. Also, start with a nice clean kitchen. No dishes in the sink, and as much counterspace as you can make available will make things go smoothly.

Good luck and welcome to the obsession my friend! Add 50-70% of the extract at 15 minutes left in the boil, forget what your kit instructions say about adding it all at the beginning.

Brewing a Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow, we're brew buddies!

Good luck! I am currently doing my first brew. It is a mahogany porter using caromalt and golden hops. Smells great at the moment so I hope it turns out ok. Any recommendations for my next brew?

b7rendan said:
Good luck! I am currently doing my first brew. It is a mahogany porter using caromalt and golden hops. Smells great at the moment so I hope it turns out ok. Any recommendations for my next brew?

A traditional American IPA. You'll thank me when you smell the airlock.

Thanks everyone! I'm up early couldn't sleep. I get this way when I start a new project. I'm making Brewers Best Imperial Blonde Ale.. Guess I'm just a sucker for tall blondes...

andrewd said:
writing a to do list beforehand might help you. If not, just make sure you have everything you need. I think the one thing i wish someone had told me to do on my first batch was have plenty of towels for cleaning up on hand. Also, start with a nice clean kitchen. No dishes in the sink, and as much counterspace as you can make available will make things go smoothly.

+1^^

Don't worry, just do it! I messed tons of stuff up on my first beer and I still haven't had anywhere near a "perfect" brewday yet but I still make tasty beer that seems to dissapear far too quick. You will too.

Have fun today! I'm about to start my first 5 gallon batch today of Caribou Slobber. I made a yeast starter last night and it looks about ready to go. I'm planning of adding a lb of brown sugar at flameout based on a couple reviews. I had done a Mr. Beer pale ale last month, so now I'm excited to move up to a 5 gallon batch. Let us know how it goes today.

Beer in carboy, not so patiently waiting for things to start happening. Am I the only newby that has the urge to check on it every 5 min? :)

Beer in carboy, not so patiently waiting for things to start happening. Am I the only newby that has the urge to check on it every 5 min? :)

Every 5 minutes?

I stood there for two hours and watched every bubble with the first batch.

That was a whole 2 months ago, and I'm not any better yet.

I guess I'm hooked

cheesehed007 said:

I am doing the same! Brewed my first 5 gal batch of autumn pale ale from a Midwest ingredient kit. All I want is to see some bubbles and pray that it doesn't get infected!

Maybe the smell from the airlock could be marketed as a new cologne??? Any takers?

Back