A few kegging questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I've been looking into the idea of getting a setup where I can keg my beer, and I can find plenty of kegerators online, but where do you get the kegs themselves ?

Apparently I'm not googling for the right thing, because I can find kegerators, CO2 systems, draft towers, etc... but never seem to find where to get the kegs.

Also, if you don't mind another question....

I understand that the 5 gallon pepsi/corney kegs are preferred for homebrewing. Is this correct ?

Now supposing I want to get a regular half barrel keg, I should still be able to use that keg with the same kegerator all considerations of space and will it fit aside ?

Finally, what do you think of this:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/387552997.html

To me that seems like a pretty good deal, and it looks like it would hold 2-3 of the larger kegs. If it happens I'm not able to get that particular one, do you know where I could get a unit similar to that one ? I'd really be more comfortable with a unit that can hold 2-3 of the big sized kegs, even though for kegging my homebrew I'm anticipating the 5 gallon corney/pepsi kegs provided that they will be compatible.

Google "cornelius kegs". You'll get a bunch of sources (online HBS, eBay, etc.). They are the way to go...better size for HB, and easier to work with.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the CL unit you linked...a new compressor in a unit less than 5 years old makes me nervous.

Search this site for "Chest freezer conversion" for some other (likely less expensive) ideas.

EDIT: And you can go back and forth bewteen keg types, but you'll have to change out your fittings when you switch.

This kit will allow you to set up so that you can handle corny kegs or standard taps. This place also has excellent prices on the kegs you're looking for.

TheJadedDog said:
I'd look for kegs on the homebrew websites like Northern Brewer or AHS. Used kegs usually sell for $10-$15 a keg and they are a breeze to put into service.
10 - 15? Dude give me your hook-up.

TheJadedDog said:
That's what my LHBS charges for 'em, maybe he gets some kind of deal and passes on the savings, I just assumed that was an average price.
They are $35 were I'm at and you have the clean and replace the seals.

Latest posts

Back