Cloudy cider - help to fix please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldian

Reaction score
Have produced a lovely 5 litre demijohn of once racked cider from own apples and after a month or so of malolactic fermentation, the cider cleared to a lovely golden haze. Have racked again and then before bottling I added two campden tablets and it's all gone cloudy again!!!!

Can anyone suggest how to clear the cloudiness again please thanks
Ian

It was 2011 apples and yes I did just chuck them in !?
Any thoughts welcome
Thanks

IMO its way too early to have bottled a cider. I have cider I pressed in september that's just starting to clear. Also, why do you say that a maltolactic fermentation occured? Do you mean a spontaneous wild yeast fermentation? Because the two are different. The maltolactic fermentation won't occur naturally for months from what I understand, typically not until the spring time. You don't want to have the cider in bottles if that happens (ka-blooey!). The difference is that one is a yeast and one is a bacterium that turns malic acid(the tart apple flavor) into lactic acid. Did you pitch maltolactic culture?

Well, my guess then would he that the camden is just floating around making it cloudy. Of that is the case, and I'm mostly guessing here as haven't tried it, but you could try bringing the temp up to disolve it, it won't need to be hot or anything, just warm enough to disolve it. Or, of that fails stick them in the fridge, see if you can get them to settle out.

I would try to swirl the carboy to help mix the campden. Then wait a couple of days, and cold crash. See if that clears it up. Just my two cents.

Back