Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as jeffb pointed out to me- the GP-RICE is double listed in the catalog for both flaked rice and rice hulls. I put in GP-FLRCE to remind myself to point this out when we order, so we don't get rice hulls. Looke where the GP flaked and raw grains section is. rust, I would split the last 1/3 share of the rye with you if you are on the fence for the full 1/3.

cidah, ill so the 1/6 split with you out of the 1/3 ( i dont use that much rye anyways for things)

I thought those Flaked items are under briess... thats why i went with the tf flaked barley Otherwise ill switch it up to the GP-FLBLY (or am i completely looking at this wrong?

Smashing - you close the split at a 1/3 you ok with that?

Rust - have us on hte rye; if you want GP for brand let me know; they aren't briess

58bags!!!! enter your bags or close splits (or forever hold your peace)

REQUESTED SPLITS:

1. CM-WHET - 1/3 (Copyright1997, JeffB418) - needs 1
2. TF-AMBR - 1/3 (Mparsons327, CBK) - needs 1*would consider 1/4*
3. TF-FLBR - 1/3 (Rustbucket) - needs 2 *would consider 1/4*
4. GW-C60 - 1/3 (Smashing, drocu) - needs 1*would consider 1/4*
5. GP‐FLRCE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1

58bags!!!! enter your bags or close splits (or forever hold your peace)

REQUESTED SPLITS:

5. GP‐FLRCE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1

If no one jumps on these before you close things out, I will buy the remaining split (on each). (But I would rather someone else jump in as I am starting to worry about how much will fit in my car. :) )

I'm in for the Choc 1/3. I could do half on the c60 to close it up if its ok with drocu

You will use a lot of the c60, well worth having that much.

Got you down Jeff!!

Almost 60 bags!! Looks like I might have to add a full sack on!!

Keep em coming!

Nobody else needs C60? That's surprising.

I think I'm getting in over my head but sure, I'll take a 1/2 of C60. I'd rather have more than I need at these cheap prices than have to buy it at the LHBS.

Nobody else needs C60? That's surprising.

I think I'm getting in over my head but sure, I'll take a 1/2 of C60. I'd rather have more than I need at these cheap prices than have to buy it at the LHBS.

yeah, i would but i already have like 12 lbs of it from a previous group buy.. lol

If no one jumps on these before you close things out, I will buy the remaining split (on each). (But I would rather someone else jump in as I am starting to worry about how much will fit in my car. :) )

You still willing to jump on these splits if we close the buy in the am? That would get us up 2 more bags.

Jeff B

You still willing to jump on these splits if we close the buy in the am? That would get us up 2 more bags.

Jeff B

Yes. The following is assuming I take the rest (which is ok with me). However, if you WANT to up your part on the Wheat to 1/2 that would also be ok. No pressure as it is ok with me either way.

So, Cidah:

So, I get remaining 1/3 makes 2/3 of sack for me.

4. GP‐FLRCE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1
So, I get remaining 1/4 makes 1/2 of sack for me.

I may have to rent a truck to get this stuff!

Yes. The following is assuming I take the rest (which is ok with me). However, if you WANT to up your part on the Wheat to 1/2 that would also be ok. No pressure as it is ok with me either way.

So, Cidah:

So, I get remaining 1/3 makes 2/3 of sack for me.

4. GP‐FLRCE 1/4 (Copyright1977, jhenderson, cidahmastah) - needs 1
So, I get remaining 1/4 makes 1/2 of sack for me.

I may have to rent a truck to get this stuff!

I'll go 1/2's with you on the CM-WHET.

Jeff B

Doing some last minute looking through the catalog. I see in the group order folks ordering various kinds of this:
Rustbucket - GW-VIEN x1 (Great Western: Canada/USA?, .56/#, 50# sack)
Twogunz - BZ-VIEN x 1 (Best Maltz: Germany, .56/#, 55# sack)
Jeff - BZ-VIEN x 1 (same is Twogunz)
There is also:
FB-VIEN ( .61/#, 55 # sack) Malteries Franco-Belges. France
BD-VIEN (.56/#, 55# sack) Bairds: UK.
GB-VIEN (.68/#, 55# sack) Gambrinus Malting: USA/Canada?

Right now I have my order as BD-VIEN, but for no good reason. Anyone out there having bought it - any pro/cons from various suppliers. I guess my preferences is one of the lower cost (GW, BZ, BD). Another non-quality factor would be GW is 50# vs. rest being 55#, so that is a slight advantage in terms of what I have to stuff in my car.

So, should I switch to GW (smaller sack) or BZ (from Germany) or keep as is?

Thanks.

you will be fine with that, i just chose the 50# sack for the the "cheaper" reasoning even tho its like a two dollar difference

That's right I am going to lump another bag on the order!! so right now we have 63 bags - I hate odd numbers, so somebody should make it 64!

as for the vien - I went with a non-domestic brand (GW is domestic). Reason being I was shooting for pilsners and some other brews that are non-domestic. I thought it would be more authentic if I went with BD or BZ. For me the extra 5lbs is an advantage ;)

I might be good for a couple more but not if this closes tomorrow! haha

do you need more time to consider and order? I was just saying we should close it up because I figured people were done, and probably wanted to get some grain before the snow flys.

I am adding a bag of MOPAx1

EVERYONE - GET YOUR LAST BAGS IN!!! WE ARE AT 63!!! I plan on updating the sheets this morning and getting this over to the buyer. If you want me to put it off a day, I can do that. But just want to be sure that we are holding off to add bags.

this split only needs one!
TF-AMBR - 1/3 (Mparsons327, CBK) - needs 1*would consider 1/4*

URGENT / ACTION NEEDED - PLEASE CHECK POST #2 for accuracy - I would like to submit this order in this morning.

** IF I DON'T HEAR FROM ANYONE BY 10A.M.-12pm I WILL BE SUBMITTING THE ORDER **

That's right I am going to lump another bag on the order!! so right now we have 63 bags - I hate odd numbers, so somebody should make it 64!

as for the vien - I went with a non-domestic brand (GW is domestic). Reason being I was shooting for pilsners and some other brews that are non-domestic. I thought it would be more authentic if I went with BD or BZ. For me the extra 5lbs is an advantage ;)

Then I should switch to BZ-VIEN (and pay the extra penny/#) as it is German, I am half German, and VIenna has sometimes been controlled by Germans. :eek:

So, if it isn't too late, please make mine BZ-VIEN.

Cidah,

Sorry for the last min change, can you switch my CM-MUNH to BZ‐MUNH? Figure if im going with a MUNH it should be from Germany and not the northlands, eh?

Thanks!

Cidah,

Sorry for the last min change, can you switch my CM-MUNH to BZ‐MUNH? Figure if im going with a MUNH it should be from Germany and not the northlands, eh?

Thanks!

That is just the way I am. Truthfully, not sure you would know a real difference - but what the heck. At the end of the day the cost is pretty minimal.

Here is a preliminary estimate if nothing else changes:

I still plan on sending this out at NLT 12pm today. So speak up if you are looking to add, or close that final split.

CidahMastah $267.00
Buffalo Brewer $487.48
Bierhaus15 $47.35
Jhenderson27 $106.59
Copyright1997 $227.04
CBK $121.28
rustbucket $261.87
twogunz $175.34
drocu $163.57
stunsm $153.39
Jeffb418 $298.81
jbsengineer $160.83
Smashing $104.91
Mparsons327 $210.10

PAYMENT:
This time, based on the situation we unfortunately will be paying by check. We will try it this time until I can resolve paypal, or we figure something else out. I know it is less convenient than paypal; before complaining please think of the poor smuck who has to deposit these all and run around on the groups behalf to make this work... yup that would be me.

I will start PMing payment information to people (pay to me and send to my address)

Process will be that once I receive all the checks and cash them (they have cleared) I will then cut a check to the buyer and send it for the group total.

DO NOT PAY THE AMOUNT POSTED ABOVE!!!! I don't have the actuals yet, so I will let you know when to pay, and how much.

Thanks!

Can we request a delivery on 11/18. I have that Friday off vs burning more PTO. Let me know as i can be around for pickups that day all day. Its the friday before thanksgiving too so it would be good time.

Can we request a delivery on 11/18. I have that Friday off vs burning more PTO. Let me know as i can be around for pickups that day all day. Its the Friday before thanksgiving too so it would be good time.

Your killing me on this one :cross: Here is the issue, when we make the order request and get actual numbers NCM packs the stuff on a crate for shipment that day (and they want to get it out of the warehouse at that moment). We already irk them when we hold it up for several days while we collect money.

i.e. if you want to wait until that weekend we should either:

a. Keep the order open until a later date
b. Find a new place for delivery (any volunteers - this will have to be amiable to all participants in the buy of course; I might have a location for this... but not sure).

I know personally I was hoping to have every body paid up by the end of the week (I get the impression a lot of folks are chomping at the bit as well), call in payment late Friday or Monday and grain hand by Nov 7-8th.

What is the group consensus?

Everyone should have payment information from me by now. SAVE IT!! it is a royal PITA to send out PMs as they make you wait 60 seconds between each.

I'm set. Hate to see you with all of those checks though. Hope they all clear! Now I have to find my check book! Can't remember the last time I wrote a check.

I'm fine with either scenario since I have about 4 beers in the pipeline right now.

Man...I can't believe how much money I've dumped into this hobby. Actually, it's become more of a way of life than a mere hobby, I suppose.

I'm set. Hate to see you with all of those checks though. Hope they all clear! Now I have to find my check book! Can't remember the last time I wrote a check.

What the heck are checks - right? haha

I know I am not looking forward to it either.

+1 drocu - beaucoup bucks

Latest posts

Back