dogs are eating my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
I planted 4 hop rhizomes this spring, around late april. One cascade and one kent golding are around 3' high and looking good. The magnum never did much more than a little bud. My other cascade though, it never seemed to grow, despite it's buddy growing like mad.

So tonight I look out and there is my dog, munching away on the small cascade, chewing on the tips. That explains a lot. I remember reading that hops are toxic to dogs, I wonder if that applies to the vines as well? She hasn't had any ill effects. Not sure what to do about it, the dog is a goat. Her favorite things to eat are socks and poop. I get really tired of getting up in the morning and picking up a tube sock she has eaten and crapped out. Or threw up, hard to tell, all I know is it's green and smelly...

Maybe you should surround your hops with dirty socks and poop. Or better yet, maybe a little wire fence or chicken wire.

yes, hops are potentially fatal if a dog eats them, even in small amounts. it causes malignant hyperthermia.

keep the dog OUT of them. from what I've heard, even if you get the dog to the vet immediately, there's still a good possibility they won't survive.

its only the flowers and not the plants AFAIK!!!!
Mine did the exact same thing and munched a young hop plant, could'nt believe out of the whole garden that was the one plant the decided to pick on :drunk:

delboy said:
its only the flowers and not the plants AFAIK!!!!
Mine did the exact same thing and munched a young hop plant, could'nt believe out of the whole garden that was the one plant the decided to pick on :drunk:

I would protect them even if its only bines and leaves. You don't need the dog doing this when hops are on the bine. Get 8-10" of cheap wire fence thats 36~48" high and wrap it around the base of the hop plant. Stake it in with landspacing stakes. This is the kind used for holding down weedless cloth.

You can also grab some of SWMBO's panty hose (when she's not looking) and hang chunks "Lifebuoy Soap" from the fence. Drop the soap chunks in the hose and tie it onto the wire. This also keeps deer & critters away. I had to do this last year. It worked pretty good.

:fro:

Latest posts

Back