Calling everyone that is attending Oktoberfest 2011 in Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdragon82

Reaction score
Ok so I have booked my trip to Oktoberfest for the first week of Sept 17th-24th. We all know its the festival with over 6 million people visiting each year. I found out that you can reserve tables IF you have enough people.

So NuclearRich and I have been talking and thought maybe we could get enough people to reserve some tables. This way we do not have to worry about waiting in lines all day to get into the popular tents, and have a couple of drinks with the guys from HBT.:D

I have all the links to reserve the tables and hope that we can get enough people to come. I am going with SWMBO and so is NuclearRich. Who else wants in:mug:

Open for reservations:
Hippodrom: Requires at least 6 to reserve a table
Beer Served: Spaten Franziskaner*

Hofbrau: Requires at least 10 to reserve
Beer Served: Hofbrau

Kafers Wies'n-Schanke: Couldn't find the requirement
Beer Served: Paulaner

Bräurosl: Requires at least 10 to reserve
Beer Served: Hacker Pschorr

Some were booked already but I am still looking for other tents

There is a fee associated with the reservation of course. As I find more I will post it on here.

I know I would definitely be down for the Hippodrom and Hofbrau

Just a heads-up in case you don't get a large enough group - I went with my wife last year (AMAZING), and as long as you get there early (between 10 and 12) and it's during the week, you can pretty much just walk in and sit down in any tent you want. Most all (if not all) tents have non-reserved seating. My wife and I did a lot of tent hopping without any kind of reservation. The later in the day it gets, though, the harder it will be to leave a tent and find a spot in a new one.

Also, bare in mind that we did this during the week, not on the weekend. I know it is CRAZY on the weekend.

Good luck, and have a ton of fun!

Awesome!! Yeah my GF had a friend who told her the same. I'm thinking more of doing this for the afternoon type stuff when it gets busy.

It would just be easier if we had tables but otherwise that is our plan. I really can't wait for this trip. Did Ireland last year (first time to Europe) and now this. I love it over there!

What you said IS correct. HOWEVER, do not expect this to work on Saturdays/Sundays, and not after 4pm on a weekday.

I've been to the O-Fest 4 years total and it's getting more and more packed every year.

Also, make sure you booked your hotel room, uh... a few months ago. ;)

M_C
Just a heads-up in case you don't get a large enough group - I went with my wife last year (AMAZING), and as long as you get there early (between 10 and 12) and it's during the week, you can pretty much just walk in and sit down in any tent you want. Most all (if not all) tents have non-reserved seating. My wife and I did a lot of tent hopping without any kind of reservation. The later in the day it gets, though, the harder it will be to leave a tent and find a spot in a new one.

Also, bare in mind that we did this during the week, not on the weekend. I know it is CRAZY on the weekend.

Good luck, and have a ton of fun!

Oh I've been booked since march. I have a couple of friends who are debating now and I told them to get in gear.

Are you going for a 5th year??? If you want to join a table your more than welcome :D

Ohhh yeah baby!
Gonna be booking my trip ASAP. I sure hope I can get a place to stay, lol. I really want to go for the opening ceremonies, and then the weekend I can drink first thing in the morning for all I care. If its still ridiculous, I can find other things to do and just hit the tents during the early week. Cant wait!
It would be especially cool to meet some of the people we are all chatting with here.

I wish I could be there with you guys! When I lived in Germany I went every year. Munich is really easy to travel around in, so be sure to take in some of the other sights, too. The S-Bahn and U-bahn will get you pretty much anywhere you want to go.

For you first-timers, here's some Fest-iquette:

Germans use their thumb to count 1, thumb and forefinger for 2. If you hold up just your forefinger (index finger) you might get 2 beers brought. If you hold up your hand, you might get 5.

Go ahead and tip well like good Americans, it'll keep the beermaid coming back (it's also OK to offer to buy her a beer or schnapps).

A door with "WC" on it is the bathroom. There is often a woman by the door (maybe even inside, and don't expect her to leave while you do your business) to clean up after you. Leave her some change.

It is common for German restaurants to seat more than one party at the same table. If this happens, take advantage of it, and strike up a conversation. Most Germans speak at least some English and are usually thrilled to talk to you.

In restaurants, a tip, "Bedienungszuschlag", is already included. But it is still customary to leave a small additional amount.

Have a great trip!

John

I'm working a contract job, so it's less tempting to go since I don't get paid when I don't work... I haven't ruled it out. My liver may decide not to tag along. :D

M_C

Oh I've been booked since march. I have a couple of friends who are debating now and I told them to get in gear.

Are you going for a 5th year??? If you want to join a table your more than welcome :D

i would, if i had the resources to do so... sadly this year im out.. i would love to go.. (one of the things on my bucket list) even tho im to young to have a bucket list hahaha

Its official! Booked my flight and hotel last night! I'll be there for the opening week with my woman.

I picked up a second job just so I could go!

The "water closet." How quaint!

It is quite a revelation that WC (or toilet/toileten) works about every where in the world. Oddly, despite being an english acronym, it is pronounced vay say (french) in Germany.

Oktoberfest? Amateur hour. Try another fest like the shoulder to shoulder bock release at Aecht Shlenkerla in Bamberg. About 1000 people in a small biergarten. 20 Americans, about 18 of them servicemen.

It is quite a revelation that WC (or toilet/toileten) works about every where in the world. Oddly, despite being an english acronym, it is pronounced vay say (french) in Germany.

Oktoberfest? Amateur hour. Try another fest like the shoulder to shoulder bock release at Aecht Shlenkerla in Bamberg. About 1000 people in a small biergarten. 20 Americans, about 18 of them servicemen.

Actually, vay tsay is the correct German pronunciation for WC, not French. I agree, though that I enjoyed some of the smaller less touristy fests a little better. Try Kloster Andechs in Munich during the Starkbierfest.

Andechs is on my list of breweries to think about hitting. Any others in the area that are must hits?

You will love Kloster Andechs. I think they make the best Helles in Germany, the food is terrific, and the monestery alone is worth the visit. They have guided tours of the brewery on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:30am, 4.5 Euros each.

Erdinger is also not too far away, and is well known for their Weissbier. If you sign up for their fan club on their website (3 months in advance), it'll save you the 10 Euro cost of the tour.

The Hofbräuhaus is very touristy, crowded and expensive, but the show is kinda fun. Wouldn't be my first choice to visit.

You could easily spend a day in and around Marienplatz and the English Gardens.

Andechs is on my list of breweries to think about hitting. Any others in the area that are must hits?

I was there last year. It was an amazing day. Perfect weather and the best beer...Your gonna love it.

Head over to Freising to the Weihenstephaner brewery...It's only about a 1/2 hour from munich. I did the brew tour there but you can hang at the brewery and drink there great beer. It's the oldest brewery in the world. Call and try to get into the tour. It's a lot of fun.

Right around the corner from the Oktoberfest grounds is Augustinerkeller. You can sit outside under the chestnut trees and IMO drink the best beer in the world. Youtube Augustinerkeller. THIS IS A MUST!!

UGH, I'm so jealous...I had so much fun last year. I'm going to Prague and again Munich next year. Germany is such a beautiful country.

Also head down to Marienplatz.. It's a few blocks from Oktoberfest.

Down by that area is the Oktoberfest Museum..Sorry, I keep remembering fun places.

You lucky, lucky bastards. I am so jealous. I suppose I could have gone this year, but I blew all my extra cash on this stupid hobby of ours. WHAT WAS I THINKING?

I was there last year on the last Saturday of the fest. Stay away from that day. We didn't have much fun. If pricing/availability in Munich is causing problems, I would recommend Augsburg and taking the train. The festival grounds are very close to the central train station. I stayed at a hotel outside of Augsburg called Waldhotel Ziegelstadel. We thought the price was right. It's hard to find, but it's very quaint and the owner won't mind pouring you a Liter when you get in at night.

IMG_0254.JPG

The "water closet." How quaint!

lol if you get a toilet that has what seems a "shelf" in it and very little water, be sure to lay down a little paper before dropping the inevitable deuce, or you'll have skid mark city :ban:

lol if you get a toilet that has what seems a "shelf" in it and very little water, be sure to lay down a little paper before dropping the inevitable deuce, or you'll have skid mark city :ban:

all of our toilets in the house we rented when we lived in germany were like that. I learned to sit on the front and bypass the "shelf". we were told they were there so you could scoop up the poop and use it in your garden. this was during WW I and II when you lacked real fertilizer.

I just got back on Sunday from Munich and WOW!!! Amazing Trip! It was crazy to see how much beer is part of their culture. They walk around drinking the stuff like its a bottle of pepsi. On friday morning it started to hit me though haha. 5 days of only drinking beers, and eating various forms of Sausages and deli meats.:rockin:

I have over 3 hours of videos from sight seeing to partying in the tents. I posted a couple online that I'm adding here for you guys enjoyment.

**Warning my camera was in full HD mode when I recorded these so they look choppy on the net

I was there for the first week. It was phenomenal. Opening day I sat in line for 3 hours to get in. Once I got in, it was amazing. The 6 liters I drank after that were pretty good too :)
The weather was rough and it rained half of the time, but I went sightseeing enough and the tents are indoors! Too bad I didn't meet up with you blackdragon. Next time!

I was just there from the 25 - 27 Sept..I didn't even think to see if anyone from here was going. I stayed at hotel dolomit..definitely not worth the money I spent there. Prost!!

Did anyone ball up the courage to take a mobilized yeast culturing kit on their trip? I know I did, I found a Paulaner hefeweizen beer garden and acquired my samples. I propagated two slants and created a 350ml starter. As of today one of two slants are showing signs of life and my starter is on it's way! I'll analyze it on my microscope here this weekend.

Did anyone ball up the courage to take a mobilized yeast culturing kit on their trip? I know I did, I found a Paulaner hefeweizen beer garden and acquired my samples. I propagated two slants and created a 350ml starter. As of today one of two slants are showing signs of life and my starter is on it's way! I'll analyze it on my microscope here this weekend.

very cool

(sigh)Been watching all the fun online for the last two weeks. I'm booking my flight next month. Even though I was there last year, I'm very excited for next....Starting in Prague/Pilzen this time...

Curious to know what you used in your kit and how you obtained samples. I thought they used a neutral yeast for bottling.

frailn said:
Curious to know what you used in your kit and how you obtained samples. I thought they used a neutral yeast for bottling.

I have 5ml vials, gamma ray sterilized pipettes, sterilized nitrile gloves. I created a field sampling kit using a camera case. And you are right. After propagating the yeast it flocs low, has low attenuation, definitely was worth it though! Now I know my kit works! :)

Back