About to build a Keezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinal_Tap

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a new freezer for my b-day (yeah!) to convert to a keezer.

I don't want/need/have space for more than 2, possibly 3, kegs (ball lock, btw), along with the 5lbs CO2 bottle. So I was planning on getting the Holiday 5 cu Ft freezer. However there is the slightly larger (7 cu Ft, I think) for a bit more.

Is there any reason I'd want to to go with the bigger freezer vs. the slightly smaller one?

Cheers!

More cu Ft = More Kegs = More Beer = More Happiness!!! :mug:

Plus, IMHO once you start down the keg/keezer path you'll always want more space!

Considering the 7cu should be like $20 more, get it, especially if the compressor hump in just a corner, not front to back. its probably about 7.3cu and you'll fit 4 kegs plus CO2 in there easily.

Because you don't wanna be like me and have a 3 year old keezer being replaced already because I don't have room! :) Just got my 14.8cu chest delivered today.

I was going to go for a 7cu ft, bu I'm happy I went with 8.8. I can fit 5 kegs and the CO2 tank with a collar on it. Get the biggest you can manage...

Also think about the bottled beer you can stash in and around your kegs. Even if you don't want/need more than three kegs, you can always store extra beer from fellow homebrewers or commercial craft brews.

I am saving up for my freezer (ya lucky sum'*****! Getting one for a gift! ;)) but I think having a little wiggle room makes sense.

Cheers folks. I'm mostly worried about outside dimensions. I think the 5 ft'er is still the game plan. In the worst case, if it ends up not being big enough, I can pawn the keezer off to a friend and build something bigger. Or return it to the role of Freezer.

Just a follow up:

Forum, and wife, talked me into the 7 cu ft Sunbeam model from Menards. Keep your eyes open for a Keezer Build thread...someday. :cool:

Think of how many kegs you want on tap, then double that so you can have a second round on gas carbing while the other two are on tap.

Back