Visually Appealing Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I like the Visually Appealing Beers thread and figure that we could have a thread about food since I don't see one that is apparent. If you post a picture, please let us know what it is and the recipe so that we too can make it. Thanks :)

photo-799116.jpg

Vegetable Spinach Lasagna

1 lb Lasagna noodles, soaked in boiling water
3 cans of stewed tomatoes for the sauce
1/2# of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup Mozzarella
1/2 cup Pecorino

Sauce the bottom of a baking dish, then layer the sauce and spinach and cheese. Top with cheese and foil. Bake at 400 for 30 to 45 minutes and last 10 minutes without the foil. Remove and recover with foil. Enjoy.

I like the Visually Appealing Beers thread and figure that we could have a thread about food since I don't see one that is apparent. If you post a picture, please let us know what it is and the recipe so that we too can make it. Thanks :)

photo-799116.jpg

Vegetable Spinach Lasagna

1 lb Lasagna noodles, soaked in boiling water
3 cans of stewed tomatoes for the sauce
1/2# of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup Mozzarella
1/2 cup Pecorino

Sauce the bottom of a baking dish, then layer the sauce and spinach and cheese. Top with cheese and foil. Bake at 400 for 30 to 45 minutes and last 10 minutes without the foil. Remove and recover with foil. Enjoy.

Looks good, but still seems to be missing something...

Looks good, but still seems to be missing something...

If you are alluding to it being meatless, there are times when this is just a super refreshing meal. Not heavy, not rich and perfect on a summer day. When was the last time you had a light lasagna? Now's the time.

My wife makes hers usually without meat. Rolls em up though with cheese and spinach in some kind of cream sauce.

photo-719871.jpg
photo-779195.jpg

I would have taken a picture of the finished Osso Buco and arugula polenta, but the absinthe beat me to the punch. So here it is simmering away.

2009_02_23_curry_mac001.jpg

Curry Mac! This is what I did with our leftover Japanese curry. Mix with some macaroni, top with gruyere & crushed ritz crackers, bake in the oven.

I made some ultra thin bread crisps to go with this delicious orzo dish yesterday. I some garlic and made a paste with my mortar and pestle. Mixed in a little butter and smeared it all over the pizza dough which I had already proofed and formed. Sprinkle some mozzarella on top and on the stone for a few minutes until the place smelled like roasted garlic. Delicious.

Breadcrisp003.jpg

Breadcrisp004.jpg

This was my dinner last night. Braised short ribs, made some amazing gravy to go on top, garlic mashed red potatoes and some corn on the cob. It was pretty awesome.

short-ribs.jpg

Last night's dinner: Pork tenderloin, sunchoke gratin, sugars snaps from my wife's garden.

I love this camera(sony dsc-w120), it takes better pics than my big digital SLR. In some situations.

06_05_2009 046porksmall.jpg

nothing better than this - made this for breakfast on the last day of Lake Powell house boat trip last week.

Step 1: weave
bacon_weave_1.jpg

Step 2: fry
bacon_weave_2.jpg

Step 3: add cheese
bacon_weave_3.jpg

Step 4: roll
bacon_weave_4.jpg

Step 5: enjoy
bacon_weave_5.jpg

The trick to prime rib is to cook the outside with high heat quickly and then slow cook the inside with low heat. this time I used a smoking hot skillet. Next time I am going to use a propane torch.

smallrib.jpg

nothing better than this - made this for breakfast on the last day of Lake Powell house boat trip last week.

Holy crap, just looking at that raised my blood pressure/cholesterol a few points!!!

I just made up a dinner last night of gouda and bacon stuffed chicken that was breaded and baked, alongside asparagus and oven potatoes with red onions. I might be able to take a picture of the scraps from todays leftover lunch.

Good call on the beer, good thing I drink quickly, it's no homebrew, but still tasted pretty good. I used a little espresso in the marinade and apparently my grinder missed a few beans, then I went poor just the coffee in and a few beans fell in. I think next time I'll throw a couple on the smoking wood just to see how that goes.

Red Stripe has a unique enough flavor to warrant over many BMC offerings in a pinch. Don't mind it now and then on a hot summers day. Plus those old damn commercials are infectious.

Here are a couple of recent meals...

Filet mignon with a cognac reduction sauce and topped with goat cheese, along with garlic roasted potatoes. Toss in one of my barleywines and yum!
dinner 1.jpg

Spiced shrimp, sliced local tomatoes, garlic bread, and mango/hearts of palm salad enjoyed with an Avery Maharaja.
dinner 2.jpg

And yes, we eat sitting on the floor. The dining room table is too covered with crap to ever actually attempt to eat there.

I have a couple contributions to this thread. Some of these were in previous threads so forgive me for re-posting:

We'll start simple. Home-made pizza, Dough and all:
n5302585_37600074_6663.jpg

n5302585_37600076_8511.jpg

Wild green salad with Gorgonzola, pistachios, grapes, Asian pear, home made raspberry vinaigrette and seared duck breast on top.

n5302585_37600301_7074.jpg

Seared Scallops over a crispy potato and leek pancake with a white wine, butter, rosemary sauce.

n5302585_37600399_3796.jpg

Steak au poive with garlic mashed potatoes and a wild mushroom, brandy cream sauce

Picture_0065.jpg

9lb shoulder dry rubbed and roasted in the oven for 6.5 hours. mmmm.

All pulled apart:
Picture_0077.jpg

OMFG - This is like an inside out omelete w/o the egg. Could do this with pita bread and make a beautiful BLT.

bacon_weave_1.jpg

bacon_weave_2.jpg

bacon_weave_3.jpg

bacon_weave_4.jpg

bacon_weave_5.jpg

Nice Blog Laurel, You're a busy girl!! A Renaissance woman even..

Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm a renaissance woman though, I won't touch electrical work and I'm not too handy at carpentry. I just like to know what goes into my food. :eek:

Back