Calling all Barley wine gurus!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfermenter1

Reaction score
trying to select yeast for a Barley wine! (~12%)

As these beverages require (benefit) from such an extended conditioning time, I thought I would inspire a new (ok, not new, just updated . . .) discussion regarding lessons learned from yeast selections and best results for a hearty barley wine. looking for updates from home brewmasters that have had the patience to wait for the extended results of their efforts and yeast selection(s)

What yeast did you use? What would you have done differently? Did you mix and match?

I've used Notty with great success. I've also 1272 and US-05. I was unable to get the 1272 down far enough (stalled at 1.026) and ended up racking it on to a yeast cake of Notty to get it down and extra 4 points. Any good malty yeast or neutral yeast will do good. You'll have a lot going on in the grain bill and want to get the points down far enough so that you can taste the character and not the residual sweetness.

Just put the second annual barleywine in the fermenter last night. Last year's batch went from 1.095 to 1.015 (10.5% abv) with US-05 (two packs), and a hit of WLP090 (San Diego Super Yeast) after 5-6 days. I'm not convinced the WLP090 was essential, but am planning on using it again on the current batch anyway.

Are you planning on bottling or kegging? If you are bottling, you want to select a yeast that has high alcohol tolerance and you will potentially need to add more yeast at bottling time to give it a chance to survive 12% alcohol (for an imperial stout I brewed with WY 1056 that hit 11.5%, I've had to add champagne yeast to get it to carbonate).

With that said, Wyeast's Scottish Ale (1728) is a good choice, and can be added with other yeasts, say a packet of US-05 or Wyeast 1056, which I have done to very tasty results. 1728 has a pretty high tolerance, Wyeast reports alcohol tolerance of approx. 12%.

Notty would work well for an English flavor with some fruit etc. Or clean if you can keep the temps down.

Some people aerate twice for a really big beer. Aerate per normal, then about 12-18 hours in add some O2 using an airstone. There is so much going on in there, that the yeast need to use more O2 than a standard aeration can provide.

Notty is also a great floccing yeast, and may flocc itself right out of suspension before bottling. You might want to add a bit of fresh yeast at bottling time to make sure it carbs. And remember that barleywines as usually less carbonated.

Are you planning on bottling or kegging? If you are bottling, you want to select a yeast that has high alcohol tolerance and you will potentially need to add more yeast at bottling time to give it a chance to survive 12% alcohol (for an imperial stout I brewed with WY 1056 that hit 11.5%, I've had to add champagne yeast to get it to carbonate).

With that said, Wyeast's Scottish Ale (1728) is a good choice, and can be added with other yeasts, say a packet of US-05 or Wyeast 1056, which I have done to very tasty results. 1728 has a pretty high tolerance, Wyeast reports alcohol tolerance of approx. 12%.

I did a triple IPA with 1728 and it was a beast. Went from 1.096 to 1.012. Great tasting beer.

I hear good things across the board with 1728 and appreciate the advice. I want to bottle this one, and "set and forget" for a year or so. I will add more yeast a few days prior to bottle, and hear that a nice long spell in the 2ndary is a good idea v/s rush to bottle . . .

Notty would work well for an English flavor with some fruit etc. Or clean if you can keep the temps down.

Some people aerate twice for a really big beer. Aerate per normal, then about 12-18 hours in add some O2 using an airstone. There is so much going on in there, that the yeast need to use more O2 than a standard aeration can provide.

Notty is also a great floccing yeast, and may flocc itself right out of suspension before bottling. You might want to add a bit of fresh yeast at bottling time to make sure it carbs. And remember that barleywines as usually less carbonated.
Good advice Homercidal! I generally do the min requirements for oxygen, but this may be a good case for using the aeration stone and bottle of 02! Thanks!

Back