Hello from Goldtown WV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esmith

Reaction score
Hello im very new at wine making and have 3 different batches going and im coming up on time to bottle , the question i have of all you Pros out there is about sweetening i have read about simple syrup made from sugar and water and i have heard a lite corn syrup works well , what works best and in what amounts , i dont want a soda pop sweet wine but i dont want a dry wine either , i guess if i had to give it a class it would be semi sweet , thanks for any help you can give

esmith said:
sounds interesting what is your process?

I'm sure you'll get a few different methods, but here's what works for me.

Make sure your wine is clear and not dropping anymore sediment. Take a few ounces to make samples. Use 1 cup of sugar dissolved in one cup of water. Do this on the stove, the water will need to be heated for the sugar to fully dissolve.

Measure the syrup addition you add to each wine sample. Taste to see which one you like best. Use the ratio to calculate how much syrup to add to your batch.

Stabilize with metabisulfite and potassium sorbate and you are ready to bottle.

sounds like a plan, now i will have to figure out the ratio and exactly how much wine i have in the carboy after letting it clear and losing some in the process of transfering i was cautious not to take to much off of the bottom so i wouldnt transfer the settled parts to the new carboy and in turn lost a small amount each time , be nice if there was some kind of gauge to check the volume of the carboy, thanks for the reply

Novalou, has the expert advice. I would listen to him. I am more of a 'fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, prison brew kind of person. I add 1/3 of my dissolved sugar boiled in distilled water, then cooled...for the first three rackings, and taste it as I go, up to (old family recipe:4-5 cups of sugar) per gallon of juice. It is good, drinkable, hooch, but the only award it will win, is the one from the guy, holding the sign, on the interstate!!! Have fun!!!:)

thanks for all the info i have sweetened and bottled my plum wine and it turned out great my bro inlaw from florida tried it and said man that taste like wine !!!!! i said it IS wine ha ha .. he says i mean like good wine you buy . so i guess i did pretty good , well now i have another question of storage ..laying down ?? standing up ?? whats your feelings on it ?

esmith said:
thanks for all the info i have sweetened and bottled my plum wine and it turned out great my bro inlaw from florida tried it and said man that taste like wine !!!!! i said it IS wine ha ha .. he says i mean like good wine you buy . so i guess i did pretty good , well now i have another question of storage ..laying down ?? standing up ?? whats your feelings on it ?

I store all my wine bottles on their sides to keep the cork moist.

well i have gathered up the materials to try another batch and ive decided to go with the welches white grape peach , read on jack kellers site that first time he tried it as an expirement the rest because he loved it , so i got the recipe on his sight , anyone made this and if so how did you like it ?

Have been aging some white grape peach since last december and sweetened and bottled it the other day the flavor is very good but the alcohol content is kind of overpowering any suggestions on this batch and any suggestions on how to reduce the percentage of alcohol
on the next batch is appreciated

Back