Problematic Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaelmalakai

Reaction score
We started our first batch of mead, and screwed up somewhere, and the fermentation didnt start... so we reintroduced new yeast and managed to get it started... kinda. In a 5 gallon batch we went from our OG of 1.1 and now, after fermentation seems to have finished, we're at 1.07... It seems to me that our fermentation didnt occur properly or...

I dont know if any users have any suggestions as to how to proceed? Should we dump the batch and start again or add more yeast/nutrient?

Nope don't dump it yet, could you supply some more info? entire original recipe, types of nutrients, yeast strains, temperatures, and the steps you followed. there might be a simple solution or overlooked step that we might be able to help with.

Will try to remember.... We went for a very simple recipe, about 18 lbs honey, with just under 5 gallons of water (5G-honey's volume) 1 packet of the D-47 yeast that had been prepared and let to soak as per packet instructions... 1 tbs of yeast nutrient(fermaid-k? something like that) and umm, some amount of acid blend, again amount per instructions. That sat in our primary for about 2 weeks around 24*c, and nothing happened. So we racked it back and forth to clear the old yeast, and added a packet of the Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast right on top, again racking into a carboy after about 2 weeks. It bubbled some, and ive been watching it for about 3-4 weeks and it stopped doing anything. Today i checked SG and it was 1.07, and tastes like honey and water.

Acid before fermentation ?

I'd be checking the pH. If its below 3.0 you should be thinking of something to raise it above 3.5 and remember for future, that honey is already acidic enough, so acid should only be added for taste at bottling time.......

I would also expect that racking it mid ferment at 2 weeks would be an issue, all you've done is take all your new yeast out again!

Dang, well I was following the instructions of a local mead and wine maker as to acid and racking... It seems like he might have misled me... Is there a good way to restart fermentation? Or has has this batch had too much done to it to be saved?

You may be able to get it going again with some degassing and a bit of energiser and nutrient. If not you could make a yeast starter to replace the lost yeast.

If you only used 1tsp of nutrient to the must you need to add more. Normal dosage is 1tablespoon per gallon of must. Higher OG batches can need even more nutrients.

I would also recommend checking out the forums on the Got Mead web site for more, good, information. I also wouldn't trust anything the local yahoo tells you ever again.

Every must out there has the potential to be saved. Don't give up! Fermaid K is instructed to use 1 tsp per 5 gallons but in a high gravity must you may use up to 4 times as much nutrients. Take a wine whip, wire whisk or anything you can use to degas and whip up this bad boy and give it a go for a few minutes. After that add like 3 tsp of nutrients and whip a little more. If after 48 hours there is no sign of activity then make a starter with some fresh 1116 yeast.

Just mix the following:
2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp of fermaid k
Then sprinkle the yeast on top. Cover with a paper towel and wait 6-12 hours. The starter will have a lot of activity after that time and will be obviously ready to pitch. Throw that in and you should be good. Signs of fermentation should be seen within 24 hours.

The Fermax label gives dosage per gallon of must. I've had solid results using that dosage level even on very high OG musts. Do what you must to get your must to ferment fully. :D

Am currently trying that starter recipe, and it's bubbling and smells nice and yeasty! Hopefully all goes well from here on out, thanks everyone, will let you know if it keeps going well!

Well, it looks like the starter took hold and my mead is fermenting again! Just so I don't screw it up again, what am I looking for before I rack again? I don't want to follow my original instructions seeing as how they brought me nothing but misery... So some general steps and instructions from here on out would be greatly helpful!

Well, it looks like the starter took hold and my mead is fermenting again! Just so I don't screw it up again, what am I looking for before I rack again? I don't want to follow my original instructions seeing as how they brought me nothing but misery... So some general steps and instructions from here on out would be greatly helpful!

Since it basically seems as if you are starting from the begining of the ferment....

First your hydrometer is your friend, don't consider racking again until you are able to take at least three readings a few days apart and they all are the same, thats the only definitive way to know youre done with fermentation and your mead is happy and ready to move.

Second, consider at least daily if not 2-3 times a day giving your must a good shake or stir for the first third of fermentation (based off of hydro readings) or if not feeling like doing the math at least the first few days, this will get rid of some of the CO2 and introduce some O2 which makes the yeast happy during the initial days of fermentation. releasing some of the CO2 also lets out some carbonic acid to help control the possible pH issue.

adding some nutrients when you reach that 1/3 break (or 3 days of aeration) can also be beneficial, give it one last really good stir or shake or you can end up with a geyser then mix the nutrient with a little warm water, add it and give it another quick mix, then leave it all be for awhile to finish out.

If the acidity is to high you may wish to try some acid balancer: Calcium Carbonate, I believe. 1 teaspoon should bring it back down. I had the problem of my mead not starting with a thick blueberry I had. I redosed it with yeast and not go. I racked it and it started right up. Just needed to be moved around a bit and degased. So hopefully that's all you need. I would try that before you go messing too much with it.

Matrix

Back