honey nut brown reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheClaw

Reaction score
Im looking for a good honey nut brown ale to brew soon. I like the idea of using honey malt instead of adding honey, and Im doing it BIAB method. I just cant to find a good one

My understanding is that its used in extract recipes as a steeping grain. You might get some sugars out of a mash, but I dont know that for sure.

Yep, you can use it as a steeping grain. 4-8 ounces, 30 minutes around 155 dgrees.

Also, do not be afraid of some honey. A pound at flameout is good in a nut brown, and the sweetness from the honey malt offsets the slight drying effect of the honey.

Its hard to call something a honey beer when there isn't a drop of honey in it!!!
cheers! Pez.

Simple Honey Nut Brown extract

6 pounds Amber LME (half at 60 minutes, half at 15 minutes)
1-2 pounds clover or wildflower honey at flameout

4 oz crystal 10
4 oz chocolate
6 oz honey malt

1 oz willamette 60 minutes
1 oz willamette 15 minutes

Yeast - Wyeast 1028,1098,1056 if you want if dryer, 1099, 1275 if you want it sweeter.

Steep grains in one gallon water at 155ish for 30 minutes. Add hops to schedule

Note, this is a variation of the honey nut brown recipe at Midwest Supplies. I've brewed it a couple of times and like using 2 pounds of honey and 1099. Tastes like a Fall beer to me, not a summer one if that makes any sense.

Pez.

EDIT, OOPS! just saw you are doing BIAB.

Another one you may want to check out is from Lil' Sparkey.

I have brewed it four times - twice as a partial and twice as all grain.

Almost everyone I have shared it with seems to really like it. Do a search and you will likely find it easily.

Good Luck

Back