How do you guys clean your glasses and how/where do you store them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys clean you beer glasses and where do you store them? Right now I either just put them in the dishwasher or wash by hand. Then I store them in my kitchen cabinets upside down.

My keezer is in my basement so I was thinking of either building or buying some to hold my glasses down there 1) to free up shelving in my kitchen and 2) to make the glasses closer to the beer lol.

I know using the dishwasher can reduce head retention (since I use that liquid dry stuff) and washing by hand with regular dish soap can do the same if not rinsed well.

I use the dishwasher. I then just put them right into the freezer. I enjoy my beer in a frosty glass. I have heard the debate about loss of head retention etc, but I have yet to have any issues. Works great for me.

I've been using a fragrance free detergent for all my hand washing since before I started brewing (but after I started reading up on brewing) or in a pinch I throw them in the dishwasher. Then I try to rinse off the jet dry stuff film layer as good as possible. They are then stored in a cabinet next to the rest of the glassware.

I handwash all my glasses. My friend puts his in the dishwasher and his graphics on the glasses have been coming off and I've also noticed bad head retention when drinking out of his glasses.

I use my dishwasher and run an extra rinse cycle. We get new glasses almost weekly at a local bar, so we have them stacked 5 deep in cupboards.

Before I started home brewing I washed mine in the dish washer and stored in top freezer of my kegerator. I enjoyed having a frozen mug with lite beer. Once I started home brewing I did the same and then quit freezing them, noticed better flavor out of my homebrew. I believe head retention does seem to suffer from using a dishwasher though.

I usually brush and rinse out the glass with hot water and put it on a drying rack, I will inspect every glass before I put it away.
the pilsner and English pinters go on the rack next to the keezer and the 16 and 22 oz tankards go in the hop freezer.

Wash by hand, don't have a dishwasher. I store all my beer glasses right next to the kegerator. Opens up the kitchen cupboards and this way I can direct friends to grab a beer and everything's in one spot.

I see your fetishes with brewing have extended to the precision care of your mugs. I personally only have 2 mugs that I care for, my English 1/2 pint I got from my trip to Australia, and my playboy mug. I wash them by hand and back in the freezer they go. The 1/2 pint glass I use to test beers. The playboy mug is only frozen and used on my ceremonial winter brew each year. Other then that I have many others that I mistreat and get sloppy drunk with.

Regular pint glasses go in dishwasher. Special/rare/fragile glasses get washed by hand. Then they all go in the glass cabinet where I keep all the special glasses.

I'm the only beer drinker in the house. I rinse it in hot water after drinking it, then rinse it in RO water so it doesn't water spot, put it on the rack to dry, then into the cupboard until next time.
If I have guests, every glass gets a light soapy sponge, rinse, then a hand dry. That way nobody gets a dusty or water spotted glass. That goes double for wine glasses.

I usually just let my dog lick them clean. It's a win win. He loves beer and I heard that their mouth is supposed to be super clean......:cross:

beerloaf

I usually just put them in the dishwasher. I'm usually lazy to rinse them but I do notice the graphics don't last as long. I may start cleaning by hand and just rinsing really well.

I might just try to find something small online to buy and put next to my keezer to store my glasses.

I always rinse each glass after use with hot water. After going through all my glasses I soak them in oxyclean and hot water. Makes them look brand new.

Back