Bells Oatmeal Porter (Bells recipe of the month)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this recipe of the month from Bells? www.bellsbeer.com/index.php/download_file/view/754/242/

It's from Jan 2012 and looks good, I'm looking for a nice, rich Porter and this recipe looks great. However, I plugged the numbers into BeerSmith and the OG comes in at 1.052 vs. the Bells recipe, 1.064. Thought maybe this was a typo but Bells recipe also says ABV ~6% which jives with the 1.064. Looking at the grain bill, 1.046 seems more likely to me so trying to figure out where I'm off.

iBrewmaster gives me a similar number to your calc (1.051 @70%). Probably just some kind of typo unless they're basing it on ~85% efficiency or something.

My guess is the typo is in the OG and they're shooting more on the higher end of a brown porter around 1.050-1.055. I think it's more likely that number is off than making a mistake with the actual grain bill. If it were me I would email and find out their intention instead of guessing.

Well I realized I forgot to add the oats to the recipe in Beersmith.. in an Oatmeal Porter.. wow. Now it's 1.058, close enough!

Made this one yesterday. Hit 1.054 for the OG, my first time fly sparging and I think I was lautering too fast since it only took 20 minutes. Should still be good though at 1.054, using S-04, pitched last night and already seeing airlock activity this am.

bd2xu said:
Made this one yesterday. Hit 1.054 for the OG, my first time fly sparging and I think I was lautering too fast since it only took 20 minutes. Should still be good though at 1.054, using S-04, pitched last night and already seeing airlock activity this am.

Kegged this today, was at 1.015 after three weeks. Very clear and tasted good. This is my third kegged batch and this time I'm trying no priming and just co2 at the right level (12.5 psi for this beer) for a couple weeks.

Way early but started testing this batch, still green but it's going to be very good in a couple weeks. Funny how you can just tell with some beers. This one is already very clear and has a good amount of carb, just need the young flavors to mellow out. Could be a house favorite porter

I have a bunch of Oat Malt and Flaked Oats that I'm looking to write a recipe around. I will probably borrow inspiration from this one.

Glad to hear you're enjoying how it came out. Once the carbonation level really settles in and you think the beer has hit it's stride, can you post some further tasting notes?

One of our local breweries is making an Oatmeal Porter and I have an inkling to try my hand at the style, as I know my wife will drink it all in a flash! She is a big fan of porters.

I would be extremely curious sometime to try this recipe as you brewed it, with the S-04, side by side against an identical batch fermented using the 1028 Edinburgh that they call for here. I have used that yeast in the past and enjoyed its flavor quite a bit!

I know this is reviving a very old thread, but I brewed this recently and wanted to touch up on it.

I messed up the mash temp, and ended up mashing at 149. The batch attenuated all the way down to 1.001! I ended up using the Edinburgh yeast for this, which really brought out some fruit notes in the porter. I also primed this using Kahlua liquer, giving it a very slight rum and coffee character. Really liked this! I'm actually brewing it again tomorrow, and this time I'm sticking to the 152f mash temp as well as using toasted oats. Definitely suggest this one, but if you're not a fan of dark fruit notes in a porter/stout, definitely go for the US-04 option on this one.

Back