Just an idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
What if you made a hard cider sorta....backwards? This is what I mean, you use apple juice concentrate but don't add it until the secondary stage. What if you used your water, honey, brown sugar or whatever you plan on your yeast consuming, you then add your yeast and to this, let it go, when it's done transfer this to secondary and add your apple juice concentrate, let this sit for awhile until done. The only reason I was thinking this was because of the stripping of the apple juice flavor in its primary stage, I was just wondering if this would give the cider a more of an apple taste. What do you think?

I've racked onto concentrate a couple times and I liked the results, the only problem I had with it was It didn't fill up the headspace that was created in the racking. It will also boost the ABV and I've been trying to keep mine lower for whatever reason lately. I'm buying 6 gallons of juice and saving the sixth for filling headspace on rackings.

CRock303 said:
I've racked onto concentrate a couple times and I liked the results, the only problem I had with it was It didn't fill up the headspace that was created in the racking. It will also boost the ABV and I've been trying to keep mine lower for whatever reason lately. I'm buying 6 gallons of juice and saving the sixth for filling headspace on rackings.

Nice, I might try this on a small batch like suggested.

I did something similar. Doing a 2 gallon test batch of store bought filtered cider. Racked to secondary last night and added concentrate to fill the head space. What I had leftover tasted pretty decent.

Back