Campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmdakota1

Reaction score
I just racked into my secondary. I initially put a campden tab in when i made the must (1 gallon). I did not use any for the secondary. they say to add every other racking and then at bottling. so my next racking i would add a tablet, next racking no tablet, next racking tablet then bottle or wait another month then bottle. my recipe actually says to let it sit for 2 months after the secondary. honestly i think it would just be much easier to test SO2 levels and adjust at every racking for it unless it's very complicated. i've never done it before but my wines always could taste campden. oh, also i've got a complete 750ml bottle of left over must. do i keep up with rackings on this as well for top ups or can i just let it clear in there and put it in the fridge or something?

Oh, if you've got an SO2 meter, use it! Your goal would be to keep the wine at 50 ppm. A good guestimate is 1 campden tablet per gallon at every other racking, but that depends on pH and various other factors. A S02 meter is the best way to determine s02 levels.

no, i don't have a meter, would be nice though. was referring to the titrets. never used them before. i certainly would like a more gratifying experience this time around after 7 years of not brewing. maybe it would be worth spending the insane price they want for 10 test tubes! also, how does everyone on here feel about filtering?

I can't speak for everyone, of course! But I don't filter and don't see that in my future. I've never needed to filter, that's one reason I haven't done it and don't plan to, though. :D

Latest posts

Back