Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. Or magnum, or galena, or more tettnang. As long as you make sure you get the same IBUs by adjusting the hops by the amount of alpha acids, you'd be fine.

Brewed this up last night and overshot my final volume by 20% :( I guess that is what happens when you make your first one gallon batch! O.G was 1.042 but was able to get 71% efficiency using BIAB. I wanted to boil longer but didn't want to get more bitterness, hope it isn't too watery. Heck, maybe the BMC drinkers will like it better that way! :)

Could I replace the Tettnanger with Halletauer-Hersbrucker, or Saaz? I have an abundance of those and Perle. Even if it's not identical to the recipe I just want to make sure one of those hops would taste good as a substitiute

Im sparging this recipe right now and all i could get were whole perle hops , should i use .60oz @60 min?? Ive never used whole hops and everything ive read says to add 10%?

Im sparging this recipe right now and all i could get were whole perle hops , should i use .60oz @60 min?? Ive never used whole hops and everything ive read says to add 10%?

Don't worry about adding 10%- just look at the AAUs and use the correct amount to get the right amount of IBUs.

Made this today while drinking Yooper's Pale Ale. Ended up with about 6 gallons at exactly 1.054. I didn't have much Tett, so I used 0.5 oz of Hallertau-Hersbrucker for the 45 minute hop addition, and 0.4 oz of Tett for flameout. This was the perfect recipe to use up those odds and ends of leftover hops.

Brewed this up last night and overshot my final volume by 20% :( I guess that is what happens when you make your first one gallon batch! O.G was 1.042 but was able to get 71% efficiency using BIAB. I wanted to boil longer but didn't want to get more bitterness, hope it isn't too watery. Heck, maybe the BMC drinkers will like it better that way! :)

Bottled yesterday after a 3 day cold crash. Crystal clear and a F.G. of 1.008 so i'll have a nice 4.4% alc beer. Perfect for the BMC crowd :) Have cream of 3 crops, and centennial blonde that will be done in a week and plan to try all 3 together and see which one is the bigger hit, then i'm going to brew 10 gallons of it for the summertime!

This is going to be my first batch on my new all electric system, when (if) I ever get finished. Id like to brew 10 gallons but I may go with 5 just incase something gets screwed up.

I will probably sub out the hops, as I dont have Perle and Tettnanger, and I'd like to use up what I have in the freezer. So I'm going Magnum for bittering. Not sure about the flavor/aroma additions. Heres what I have on hand, can someone give me a suggestion as to which I should use?

In order of most quantity to least quantity (can you tell I like C-hops?):
Columbus
Centennial
Citra
Crystal
Cascade
Magnum
Willamette
Hallertau
US Golding
Simcoe

Im thinking Crystal, Hallertau, or Golding. I would say Willamette but my last two beer have been heavy on that variety and I want something a little different.

I decided to brew this for the upcoming float season due to the fact that many people said it was pleasing to the masses. A friend who had never done all grain came over so it was a nice simple recipe to show him the all-grain process as well. I took a sample today that read 1.013 after six days. I drank the sample after measuring and was very impressed. it was still pretty sweet, but the flavor was exactly as described earlier on in the thread. when it is ready to drink I'll post some pics. Thanks for sharing the recipe

fizzyyellowbeer.jpg

Great beer, I'm so sad the keg is done :( Definitely going to be a summer staple around here.

I tasted my first beer from this recipe today. I bottled 9 days ago so it is not fully carbed, but I am very impressed with the overall taste of this beer. i followed the recipe exactly. Perfect balance of malt/hops for my taste. It's kinda like a very mild pale ale

I tasted my first beer from this recipe today. I bottled 9 days ago so it is not fully carbed, but I am very impressed with the overall taste of this beer. i followed the recipe exactly. Perfect balance of malt/hops for my taste. It's kinda like a very mild pale ale

I'm brewing it myself in the next couple of days, maybe on Saturday. I have some relatives visiting in late June who don't like hoppy beers, or dark beers. They always seem to drink my beer (after all, it's free!) but I'd like to make something that they actually really enjoy. This will be a great beer to sip out on the boat or sitting by the camp fire, so I'm making 10 gallons of it for them. And we like it too!

Don't we all have relatives that love "free" beer? Sure seems that way!:mug:

I'm brewing it myself in the next couple of days, maybe on Saturday. I have some relatives visiting in late June who don't like hoppy beers, or dark beers. They always seem to drink my beer (after all, it's free!) but I'd like to make something that they actually really enjoy. This will be a great beer to sip out on the boat or sitting by the camp fire, so I'm making 10 gallons of it for them. And we like it too!

I brewed a ten gallon batch of this today. I changed the recipe slightly (as I only had 5 pounds of pilsner malt on hand), and used the hops I had on hand (cluster for bittering, saaz for flavor). I used Wyeast 1335 in one fermenter, WLP001 in the other. Other than that, it was the same. :drunk:

10 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 55.2 %
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 27.6 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 16.6 %
1 oz Cluster (60 minutes)
1 oz Saaz (15 minutes)

OG 1.048.

Brewing a double batch of this on Saturday. One will get US-05 and the other Kolsch yeast. That was the goal. However the store ran out of Vienna and I ended up reversing the ratios just to use the last of the vienna up so it's going to be a bit lighter in flavor and color. Also going to flavor and aroma hop with Styrian Celeia to see if it's a good hop to keep in stock.

Pitched last night around 6pm. Beer on the left is US05 and Beer on the right with the blow off is the Wyeast 2565. Originally had the blow off the 05 because I've had it blow off on me before, didn't expect the Kolsch to be in blow off position after 12ish hours.

This was this morning at 9pm.

20120520093344.jpg

wow- thanks for the pictures!

I have 5 gallons with Wyeast 1335 at 64 degrees, and 5 gallons with WLP001 at 68 degrees. The Wyeast 1335 made a much bigger krausen, but both are just about done now and I'm raising the temp just a couple of degrees.

I'm going to crash cool them on Tuesday, I think.

I kegged this on Tuesday, and took a small sample just now. It's not carbed up yet, but it's pretty good! I think I like the Wyeast 1335 version better than the WLP001, at least at this point. The English yeast seems like it made a "crisper" beer, with a firmer bitterness, which is exactly opposite of what I expected. I'll know more in a week or so.

Hey Yooper, how quickly does this drop clear?
I'm thinking of brewing this today at work to add to the beers I'm getting ready for an upcoming grad party on the 22nd.
I know I'm pushing it, but using gelatin to help, force carbing and a jumping to a clean keg can certainly speed thing up.
Bull

Did this one up yesterday and came up with 1.060. Little on the high side of what I was going for sure it was from mash temp of 156-155. Ended up with about 6 gallon after boil. Cooled it down to 68 threw in some 001 and its bubbling away nicely now. Going to try and have this one on tap for fourth of July party.

Just finished brewing. Added some Carapils and used Spalt Select in place of Tettnang, have a pound I need to chip away at. Virgin run on the MM2, didn't go smoothly but came out ok. 1.049 FG, 73% efficiency with a touch less grain than Yoopers original recipe.

Hello,
Not sure why this beer does not get more love.

This beer is great and everyone should try it.
Like mentioned already - This is like a BMC but the malt and hop flavor is bumped up a bit more.

I brewed a batch of this a few months ago and it came out awesome.
BIAB method - mash at 154 or so.
I followed the recipe exactly, but pulled the IBU back to 19.
I used s-05 and hydrated it and poured the oxygen to the wort before pitching and kept it fermenting at around 63 ish for 5 days (will want to keep this yeast a little warmer next time, if I use it again...)
Then I left it at 66 ish in the basement until kegged.
I kept it on the yeast about 3.5 weeks total, added gelatin waited a few days then put it in the keg.
OG was 1.049 and FG was 1.011

I will definitely keep this one on tap.
Next time I will use PacMan yeast and keep the ibu at 19 (per the tastybrew calculator I use...)

I like this one better than some other popular / similar brews I have made (but my brewing process improvements keep changing as I am learning and that might be skewing my comparison...)

The picture shows the beer a tad darker than it really is.

thanks Yooper for an awesome beer !!

7487087906_e74c22cbb1_c.jpg

thanks again,
Kevin

Hey Yooper, how quickly does this drop clear?
I'm thinking of brewing this today at work to add to the beers I'm getting ready for an upcoming grad party on the 22nd.
I know I'm pushing it, but using gelatin to help, force carbing and a jumping to a clean keg can certainly speed thing up.
Bull

I just saw this, so sorry for the lack of response.

this beer drops clear quickly- but I've used S05 in it and it didn't drop clear very quickly at all in that case! I've noticed with some yeast strains that this beer is very clear in as little as a week.

I did 10 gallons of this recently, using WLP001 in 5 gallons and Wyeast 1335 in the other 5 gallons. They turned out quite a bit different, but both were good. My preference was the 1335, I think because it tasted "richer" if that makes sense.

Yooper,
I brewed it that day (6/6) a few weeks ago and kegged it a week later. It didn't clear up enough and I had plenty of other offerings for the party. We went through 19 gallons of homebrew and less than a 6 cans of BMC's.
I actually forgot about it until I saw your reply today so I just went and got a glass. It's the first pour so it has a bit of yeast in it, but I can still read through the glass. 1 or 2 more and I'm sure it'll be brilliant.
I'm surprised at the clean hop bittering that comes through in it. Firm, but not overdone. The Vienna backbone really gives it a nice balance. Great overall taste and I can see how this one would be well received by the masses.
I think I fermented this one with the new BRY-97. That's Danstars new Chico strain. I used it on 3 beers so far and have been quite impressed. I like it better than 05.
So all in all, good beer, nice recipe, thanks
Bull

Well I am bummed did this one up hoping for great brew for fourth of July party. Turned out I must have got infection in brew as its cloudy as heck and has a off fruity flavor. Found a huge deep scratch in my bucket that could be the only thing i can think of. This may be my first dump batch. Was looking forward to a good drinker on a hot day. Must make again.

haeffnkr said:
Hello,
Not sure why this beer does not get more love.

This beer is great and everyone should try it.
Like mentioned already - This is like a BMC but the malt and hop flavor is bumped up a bit more.

I brewed a batch of this a few months ago and it came out awesome.
BIAB method - mash at 154 or so.
I followed the recipe exactly, but pulled the IBU back to 19.
I used s-05 and hydrated it and poured the oxygen to the wort before pitching and kept it fermenting at around 63 ish for 5 days (will want to keep this yeast a little warmer next time, if I use it again...)
Then I left it at 66 ish in the basement until kegged.
I kept it on the yeast about 3.5 weeks total, added gelatin waited a few days then put it in the keg.
OG was 1.049 and FG was 1.011

I will definitely keep this one on tap.
Next time I will use PacMan yeast and keep the ibu at 19 (per the tastybrew calculator I use...)

I like this one better than some other popular / similar brews I have made (but my brewing process improvements keep changing as I am learning and that might be skewing my comparison...)

The picture shows the beer a tad darker than it really is.

thanks Yooper for an awesome beer !!

thanks again,
Kevin

that's not yellow, ;-)

Back