At what point is high OG too high, and a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
Im brewing a big IPA, and my OG is around 1.074, and the recipe states that its about 1.064-1.068. Total noob question, and I searched, but didnt really find anything about 1) what happens to the end product when the OG is high, and 2) when is high too high?

higher OG means more alcohol, usually. Over 1.120 the osmotic pressure becomes pretty high, but manageable. I'd say 1.150 would be the point where the yeast is really gonna struggle.

Also, 1.074 isn't really a "big" beer, at least not by my standards.

Your OG shouldn't be an issue, at all but you are approaching the high side for an American IPA.

What you want to focus on is whether you pitched or built up enough yeast, to take on a 1.074. Likely, one smack pack, tube, or dry yeast pack won't get it done.

For more info...go to mrmalty.com...

Cheers!

Ok great, thanks. I did a 1 liter starter with with white labs 007. I know it's not what mr malty says, but I realized that after the fact :/. Hope it's ok. Thanks guys

It will change the BU/GU balance, but I wouldn't worry about an extra 6 points.

:rockin: Havent seen my fermenter since i finished brewing at 7 last night, 15 hours in and fermentation took off. :D First time using a glass carboy, what a sight :rockin:

Edit: 27 hours, I didn't include half a day due to carboy excitement

Back