No more hop shortage here...ebay score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! So what if they are from 2007, you can add a bit extra for bittering at that price! I'd wait and see how they are when they arrive, but that looks like a good score at first glance.

Maybe someone else can answer: how much does the flavor and aroma degrade after a year on something like those cascades?

Wow! So what if they are from 2007, you can add a bit extra for bittering at that price! I'd wait and see how they are when they arrive, but that looks like a good score at first glance.

Maybe someone else can answer: how much does the flavor and aroma degrade after a year on something like those cascades?

little to none in pellet form.
That is a killer score @ 13.40 a #!!!!!!! I say woohoo for U:rockin::rockin::rockin:

Do hops really lose their bittering potential that much? i was going to make a pale ale this weekend with 2007 cascades. should i reduce the AA im typing into my recipe generator?

If they were stored properly, vacuum or inert gas packed and in a freezer, you should see little to no reduction in AA%.

That looks like a good score OP. I payed $30 for that same pack of Galena around April.

There are some decent looking deals on E-bay right now.

$110 for 11# various hops from one seller
4oz for $10 (not a super deal, but it's Buy One get One).

Note: I didn't check shipping for either of these.

Just make sure to stay away from user sunburst66. I order 1.5 pounds the other week and still have not received the hops and cannot get him to respond to any emails :(

Just make sure to stay away from user sunburst66. I order 1.5 pounds the other week and still have not received the hops and cannot get him to respond to any emails :(

I ordered 1.5 pounds, too and did receive them. But it did take a long, long time and he was slow in responding to e-mails. (On the other hand, it wasn't much slower than my orders from MoreBeer which takes 10-12 days to get to me.) I'm also waiting for my replacement -- one of the 8oz packets sent was the wrong kind, so he's sending for free the right ones, but I haven't received them yet.

On the other hand, they are beautiful hops and a tremendous deal, $8 for 8oz + $3 shipping for fresh leaf hops.

I ordered 1.5 pounds, too and did receive them. But it did take a long, long time and he was slow in responding to e-mails. (On the other hand, it wasn't much slower than my orders from MoreBeer which takes 10-12 days to get to me.) I'm also waiting for my replacement -- one of the 8oz packets sent was the wrong kind, so he's sending for free the right ones, but I haven't received them yet.

On the other hand, they are beautiful hops and a tremendous deal, $8 for 8oz + $3 shipping for fresh leaf hops.

I am holding out hope, but I had to break down and buy hops at the LHBS that were from 2007 so I could brew last night because I need to transfer it to dry hop while I am gone for Christmas and couldn't wait any longer.

When/If they come, I will be very happy. I am at 10 days and counting, so by your experience, I should get them any day now.

If they were stored properly, vacuum or inert gas packed and in a freezer, you should see little to no reduction in AA%.

That looks like a good score OP. I payed $30 for that same pack of Galena around April.

According to beersmith, it depends on the hop type. They have a good tool in their software that goes by storage method and temp stored at. I would use this calculator on any hops over a year old.

I am holding out hope, but I had to break down and buy hops at the LHBS that were from 2007 so I could brew last night because I need to transfer it to dry hop while I am gone for Christmas and couldn't wait any longer.

When/If they come, I will be very happy. I am at 10 days and counting, so by your experience, I should get them any day now.

Mine definitely took more than 2 weeks, could have been nearly 3 even. He ships them surface mail (which is why shipping is so cheap), but they came vacuum packed in good shape. I got the sense from my e-mails with Ray that he gets everything together for several people's orders before he sends stuff, so that is probably part of the delay. I'm pretty sure it was part of the delay for mine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my Cascade hops and your order!

Mine definitely took more than 2 weeks, could have been nearly 3 even. He ships them surface mail (which is why shipping is so cheap), but they came vacuum packed in good shape. I got the sense from my e-mails with Ray that he gets everything together for several people's orders before he sends stuff, so that is probably part of the delay. I'm pretty sure it was part of the delay for mine.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my Cascade hops and your order!

Ahh, that adds a little more to the puzzle. He told me that he sends out shipments twice a week and that it takes 2-9 days. He told me that last Tuesday the 9th.

I also ordered 1.5#'s from this seller and waited two weeks, no hops. I e-mailed him and he said sorry they went out today. Another week and a half go by and I finally received 0.5 pounds. I waited another few days and e-mailed him asking where the rest of my won auction was. He said sorry I must have sent them to someone else by accident, for your trouble I'll send another 1.5#'s! Another two weeks have gone by so I e-mailed him last night asking where the balance of my order is. Still hoping this turns out for the best. Of the original 0.5#'s I received I used 3 oz's for dry hopping and they smelled great!

At this point I'd have to say I probably won't be ordering from this seller again.

I also ordered 1.5#'s from this seller and waited two weeks, no hops. I e-mailed him and he said sorry they went out today. Another week and a half go by and I finally received 0.5 pounds. I waited another few days and e-mailed him asking where the rest of my won auction was. He said sorry I must have sent them to someone else by accident, for your trouble I'll send another 1.5#'s! Another two weeks have gone by so I e-mailed him last night asking where the balance of my order is. Still hoping this turns out for the best. Of the original 0.5#'s I received I used 3 oz's for dry hopping and they smelled great!

At this point I'd have to say I probably won't be ordering from this seller again.

Yeah, I am sitting at 12 days since I paid him and have not received anything. Also, I received one replay 9 days ago, but have sent 3 emails since then for a tracking number and have not got any response. I don't know what this guys problem is. I am brewing tomorrow and needed the hops I ordered from him. My LHBS is like $5/oz and their from 2007 to top it off. So I am going to get raped this weekend at the LHBS because I don't have these hops.......again.

subscribed...

Honestly, I would rather pay more for good hops than buy on ebay. I got a pound of centennial of ebay last year that was horrible... Cheesy with yellow mold... Seller would not respond at all.

subscribed...

Honestly, I would rather pay more for good hops than buy on ebay. I got a pound of centennial of ebay last year that was horrible... Cheesy with yellow mold... Seller would not respond at all.

Well lesson learned I guess. I just hope next years crops pick it up a bit and we don't have to pay out the nose for them.

Although I am hoping to grow my own next year, but can't expect too much in the first year.

I can get hops around here for about 2.50/oz, so I'm happy enough. I just ordered 3 lbs from Nikobrew that will last me for my american IPAs/PAs, etc...

i bought 09's worth of hops today from freshops. 51 dollars for 20oz of darned near impossible to find hops a few weeks ago. sure, i will need some staple hops (willamette, ekg etc..), but these are all the bittering hops needed im thinkin... add that to a half lb of magnum and nuggets i have in the freezer....well, this is how im going to justify the purchase to SWMBO anyway ;)
$2.50 an oz for simcoe, amarillo, chinook is not bad at all these days it seems.

subscribed...

Yea I realize there is risk involved...the pics show the bags nicely vac packed in the mylar bags so we will see??

My LHBS gets 2.75 / oz. At those prices and quantities, when i buy there it reminds me of my younger days buying bags in the back woods hah!

Maybe i'm lucky, I've bought a boat load of various stuff on ebay and never been disappointed.

Mike

Yea I realize there is risk involved...the pics show the bags nicely vac packed in the mylar bags so we will see??

My LHBS gets 2.75 / oz. At those prices and quantities, when i buy there it reminds me of my younger days buying bags in the back woods hah!

Maybe i'm lucky, I've bought a boat load of various stuff on ebay and never been disappointed.

Mike

I believe you are lucky, since I have not received my eBay order, I had to spend $18 for 4oz of hops this weekend at the LHBS, yep they charge $4.50/oz.

I am finding a lot of reasons to not support my local place and this one of them.

Also, it has now been over 2 weeks since I paid for the hops purchased on eBay and no sign of any on its way.

I believe you are lucky, since I have not received my eBay order, I had to spend $18 for 4oz of hops this weekend at the LHBS, yep they charge $4.50/oz.

I am finding a lot of reasons to not support my local place and this one of them.

Also, it has now been over 2 weeks since I paid for the hops purchased on eBay and no sign of any on its way.

LOL

look at my post above.

same LHBS i presume...is there another one in fresno?

LOL

look at my post above.

same LHBS i presume...is there another one in fresno?

Yeah, that is the place. I did ask them about bulk grain and said they sold 50lb bags of 2-row for $50. So if you consider shipping into the equation that is close to the same as order from B3 for our area.

maybe we could go in on a bag? would be a while for me, i have a few things i need to buy first...a chiller, and grain mill... as well as another big ass pot, and another burner. i want to move into the garage.

maybe we could go in on a bag? would be a while for me, i have a few things i need to buy first...a chiller, and grain mill... as well as another big ass pot, and another burner. i want to move into the garage.

Yeah, I need a few things first too.... like a grain mill. I asked for one for Christmas, but doubt I will get it, so I may be buying one next month. But I still don't know if I will go bulk because I don't have a good place to store it.

I think I might try ordering from midwest because their prices are pretty good when you buy 10lbs at a time.

Yeah, I wont buy hops from e-bay for fear of the hop cheese (similar to frumunda!) :eek:

Yep, I think I have given up all hope on getting my order from sunburst66, it is time to contact paypal. It has been a full month and no hops or response from seller. His percentage has gone down to 67% because of all this recent activity so it looks like others had the same problem.

Yep, I think I have given up all hope on getting my order from sunburst66, it is time to contact paypal. It has been a full month and no hops or response from seller. His percentage has gone down to 67% because of all this recent activity so it looks like others had the same problem.

Contact PayPal fast. After 45 days they will no longer act on a problem.

sunburst66 didn't send 1 of my 3 packs of hops. I tried to get PayPal to take care of it but too much time had elapsed. I'm now trying through my credit card.

Contact PayPal fast. After 45 days they will no longer act on a problem.

sunburst66 didn't send 1 of my 3 packs of hops. I tried to get PayPal to take care of it but too much time had elapsed. I'm now trying through my credit card.

Yeah, I started one up with Paypal. Looks like he is no longer an eBay member too.

I don't know what happened to this guy, but just fell off the face of the earth or what.

If you need staple hops theres this guy I know.. :p That blows about the ebay paypal thing makes me nuts when people screw other people over. Makes me think "get a damn job".

Back