Med. vs. Heavy weight Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbatt

Reaction score
I am planning to buy an aluminum pot from the restaurant supply house online. They have a medium weight 40qt for $33 and a heavy weight 40qt for $53. Can anyone tell me if the medium weight is all I need or if I should spend the extra $20 on the heavier pot? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh yeah. Are there any problems with using a 60qt pot for 5 gallon batches? I am considering the 15 gallon pot in case I decide to step up to 10 gallon batches in the future.

What's the thickness of each? I would choose a thickness close to 1/4", less chance of scorching, I believe.

I'd say the one I have is 'heavy' as the sidewalls and bottom are 3/16" thick. I haven't used a thin gauge pot for anything other than sparge water so I don't know how it works for wort. If it were me (and it has been) I would spend the extra for the heavy pot.

You can definitely do smaller batches in a large kettle, lots of guys do 5 gallon batches in keggles.

Back