Nothing worse than...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
when your work phone rings at 3:55am with an 'emergency'.

which turns out not to really be an 'emergency'..

but the customer won't give up, keeps pushing, wants you to call your boss...

And now its 6:15am and I'm at the office, trying to resolve an issue with someone in the UK who's not answering his phone!!!

:(

Malkore, I feel your pain. I've been here since about 5:45 this morning....Because I got a call that work is to "backed up"....Is it bad to want a HB at 8:07am....

Man that would be a hilarious prank. Imagine the following scenario (apologies if I get the grammer and diction wrong)

Some guy (orfy) shows up at this bloke's house;

Orfy: Pardon me, but are you Fatty McUseless?

FMcU: Yes, yes I am.

Orfy: Do you know a Mr.... Malkore?

FMcU: Yes, yes I do! Are you here to fix my computer issue?

Orfy: I certainly am!

*punt to the change-purse*

Orfy: Good day to you sir!

when your work phone rings at 3:55am with an 'emergency'.

which turns out not to really be an 'emergency'..

I know exactly what you mean. :D I get woken up all the time at work for toothaches and other trivial crap.

That's why they have me working these hours, so they can sleep. The good thing about night work is having an HB at 08:00 at the pool or grocery shopping with all of the housewives. (Do you like the size of this cucumber?):D

(Do you like the size of this cucumber?):D

Otter: Mine's bigger than that.
Marion Wormer: [looks questioningly at him]
Otter: My cucumber. It's bigger. I think vegetables can be very sensuous, don't you?
Marion Wormer: No, vegetables are sensual. People are sensuous.

Movie?

or how about you are restless all night and you finally fall asleep and the pager goes off... that was my night.

Hate that. Calls in the first hour of sleep are the worst. 12,000 calls a year. Lights come on and the alarms goes off all night long. :cross:

Otter: Mine's bigger than that.
Marion Wormer: [looks questioningly at him]
Otter: My cucumber. It's bigger. I think vegetables can be very sensuous, don't you?
Marion Wormer: No, vegetables are sensual. People are sensuous.

Movie?

Animal House........I win, I win, I win. What the f*ck do I win?

I don't have to be on call very much, but when I am and get called...it's an extra $100 plus double time x length of the call. So...if there actually is a problem to be solved in the middle of the night, I get an extra $150-$200 on the paycheck. PITA for sure, but at least my employer adequately compensates me for it. If that compensation was nonexistent, I'd find another job...

Man that would be a hilarious prank. Imagine the following scenario (apologies if I get the grammer and diction wrong)

Some guy (orfy) shows up at this bloke's house;

Orfy: Pardon me, but are you Fatty McUseless?

FMcU: Yes, yes I am.

Orfy: Do you know a Mr.... Malkore?

FMcU: Yes, yes I do! Are you here to fix my computer issue?

Orfy: I certainly am!

*punt to the change-purse*

Orfy: Good day to you sir!

ROFL! That's just precious! :D

"punt to the change-purse"...priceless....

Thank god I don't sound like the Queen. ;)
...well, at least you don't come across like Sir Reginald Dwight on the board...;)

I've been told that Elton John said England is the only country in the world that has two Queens living next door to each other...

(He lives next door to Windsor Castle...been there, done that...)

Oh I miss those days...oh wait, no I don't. If I had $300 a time when I got a call that was user error in the middle of the night, I would have made more in 18 months of on call pay than in the same time of my regular salary

I'd rather it be in the first hour than between 1-3am. Thoes are the ones that get me.

Those I don't mind. If I wake up in my first hour, it takes me a few minutes to clear it out. :cross: Unless of course it's a box...adrenalin tends to wake me up pretty quickly. :rockin:

Well i ended up gong back home at 6:50am, couldn't sleep and ended up back in the office at 11:30. I get off in 30 minutes. I"m a little spacy at this point since i'm working with 3 hours of sleep.

on the plus side, I do get $500 just to be on call, and if i get a call, its $50 per call, per hour. So I end up with $650 before taxes for this morning's inconvenience.

Maybe I can afford some hops and brew this weekend ;)

Or driving a couple hours on a Saturday night to resolve a "Level A" problem (6 hour resolution), only to find out the idiot that called in the problem had changed the locks on the building & hadn't set new keys to the main office. Got him out of bed at 1 a.m. to let us into the building. He wanted to downgrade to a Level B (48 hours), but I pointed out that a Level A HAD to be resolved, it could not be downgraded. So, he drives over, lets me in and I push the reset on the building's router.

He bitched to my Senior VP, who told him the problem wasn't even a Level B and he shouldn't have called it in in the first place. And next time he made security changes without keep our group current, he would be looking for a new job.

Monday was good.

Or driving a couple hours on a Saturday night to resolve a "Level A" problem (6 hour resolution), only to find out the idiot that called in the problem had changed the locks on the building & hadn't set new keys to the main office. Got him out of bed at 1 a.m. to let us into the building. He wanted to downgrade to a Level B (48 hours), but I pointed out that a Level A HAD to be resolved, it could not be downgraded. So, he drives over, lets me in and I push the reset on the building's router.

He bitched to my Senior VP, who told him the problem wasn't even a Level B and he shouldn't have called it in in the first place. And next time he made security changes without keep our group current, he would be looking for a new job.

Monday was good.

that just made me happy

To me late night calls (for people who aren't on call) are always a sign that something bad has happened. A friend called the house at 11PM last night. Emergency...... NO.

Him: "Hey, I got an extra ticket to the Dark Knight starting at midnight, are you interested."

Me (to him): "No, I need some sleep"

Me: (Inside voice) Dammit, I can't believe that ****** waited until 11PM to call me about a fricken movie ticket. What, did someone knock on his door at 10:59 and give him an extra ticket?

To me late night calls (for people who aren't on call) are always a sign that something bad has happened. A friend called the house at 11PM last night. Emergency...... NO.

Him: "Hey, I got an extra ticket to the Dark Knight starting at midnight, are you interested."

Me (to him): "No, I need some sleep"

Me: (Inside voice) Dammit, I can't believe that ****** waited until 11PM to call me about a fricken movie ticket. What, did someone knock on his door at 10:59 and give him an extra ticket?

You know you've crossed over into some threshold of responsible abulthood when you don't just jump out of bed, throw on whatever clothes are lying on the floor and head off to the movie...I knew I reached that stage when I found myself buying a vacuum cleaner on my birthday....Growing up sucks bongwater sometimes, eh?:D

You know you've crossed over into some threshold of responsible abulthood when you don't just jump out of bed, throw on whatever clothes are lying on the floor and head off to the movie...I knew I reached that stage when I found myself buying a vacuum cleaner on my birthday....Growing up sucks bongwater sometimes, eh?:D

Not as bad as buying SWMBO a vacuum cleaner for her birthday!

She was NOT impressed.

Yeah, I think this is a totally different discussion but I'm with you. I shouldn't get excited about things like buying a new washer, or appliance (except maybe a big screen TV), nor should I admit that I like my wife's Honda Odyssey and it's actually somewhat fun to drive. My priorities aren't what they used to be.

10177.jpg

Nor have I.

Back